Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

turbo or no turbo. that is the question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 09:46 AM
Default turbo or no turbo. that is the question?

I have a 99 GS eclipse.(non-turbo). I WANT TO PUT A TURBO ON IT BUT WILL THE MOTOR HOLD IT? i HAD A FRIEND SAY IT WONT,BUT HE DRIVES A FORD.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:06 AM
Default RE: turbo or no turbo. that is the question?

In the 420a they can run 8 PSI no problem they break at around 12 PSI if the motor isnt built up.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:41 AM

What kind of turbo and what size do you suggest? This is my first eclipse more or less import?Whats a 420a?

Old 02-20-2006, 12:10 PM

What kind of turbo and what size do you suggest? This is my first eclipse more or less import?Whats a 420a?
that rite that should tell u that ur not ready to turbo ur car....U cant juss slap on a turbo buddy...requires more than u think! Especially if u dont kno wat a 420A is!

Old 02-20-2006, 12:34 PM

Im not doing it myself. Im taking it to my shop!! I just want to know more about my car and what they are doing!! Thank YOU!!![:@]

Old 02-20-2006, 12:47 PM

Their is no such thing as just slaping on a turbo, a turbo is a fan that blows air into the intak and is powered by the exaust. You need to get a turbo kit, which is a set of parts that will adapt the turbo to you car, exaust parts, oil lines, charge pipes, fuel parts.

A 420a is the motor code for the motor in your car, 4(number of pistons) 20(displacment) A(first production type). Its also refered to a 2g nt, or second gen non turbo.

For the turbo kit, check out hahnracecraft.com, they are the prodomonant maker of 420a turbo kits. the stage 2 kit which resides at 8 psi will come with a s16g mitsu turbo and a fmic. Their are other companys out their that make kits for the 420a. Star which uses a external wastegae set up with a garret t3 turbo. Tsi performance found at needboost.com use again a mitsu s16g. SBR.com which uses a garret t3/t4 turbo (only for buit motors), conceptillusions.com which use a garret t3 turbo also. Hahn has the best quality and rep. Star has the best set up for high hp applications followed up by sbr.com, CI.com, and TSi performance.

For a shop to install a stage 2 kit expect to be charged some where between 800-1300.

Old 02-20-2006, 06:27 PM

Slow420a just the man for this thread

Old 03-12-2006, 04:15 AM

Damn Dyno-Man is evil as hell. Dude is just a Newbie asking a legit question. I know I had those same questions when I 1st got myGS.

Old 03-12-2006, 01:04 PM

ORIGINAL: EMonz57

Slow420a just the man for this thread
That guy is a freaking 420 animal!

Old 03-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Banned

If you ask me guys i say stay away from that engine. My advice is find a 4G63T from a junk yard. You can pick them up for like 400 bucks.. cheaper than a turbo kit anyway. Change all the belts and gaskets and hoses and you will be ready to go. In other words the 420a was not intended for a turbo so dont do it, it sucks big time and im sure slow420a will tell you all about it.

Edit: I forgot you dont know a whole hell of alot so im going to break it down for you. The 4G63 engine is in the evo and the turbo eclipses and the talon. These are known as DSM's (Diamond star motors). You should be very carefull with the engine you pick up if you chose to do it and if you ask me its a whole hell of alot better and will be cheaper. There are 2 types of 4G63 from the eclipse/talon. One is called the 7 bolt because of the number of bolts it takes to bolt on the flywheel. There was one problem with the 7 bolt and that is that the crank wasnt chemically hardend so its basically solft as butter and thats how crankwalk develops. Now its not all bad because the 6 bolt (found in older model eclipses and talons before 95. This 6 bolt crank is made from a much harder metal and i dont think it ever develops crankwalk. If you dont know what crankwalk is dont worry...all you have to know is it spells BIG trouble and you want to avoid it lol. Not all 7 bolts get crankwalk. I have a 2g with over 75k on it and it runs great. So i hope you understand a little better now. So conclusion: Stay away from the 420a... 4G63 (6 bolt) all the way!!!

Also... how much cash do you have to play with?

Not bad for a 15 y/o eh?

Quick Reply: turbo or no turbo. that is the question?