Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Water injection system

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Default Water injection system

I was browsing a 3000gt website and I come across a water injection system that can be made from the european washer fluid tank. But my question is, what is, and how does water injection work? Anyone have a site for me to learn about this setup? Just something I would like to learn about, Thanks.

Old 07-07-2005, 01:22 AM
Default RE: Water injection system

It injects a water & alcohol mixture - in the form of vapor - into your intake. This cools the air/fuel charge and raises the flashpoint of the mixture - allowing you to run higher compression and/or higher turbo boost pressures without making it ping (a.k.a. predetonation).

The biggest benefit is to turbo-ed engines, but it offers the same benefits on non-turbo engines - just to a lesser degree.

As for where to read more about it, I'd try a google search.....

EDIT: I also meant to mention that since water/alcohol mixture is a liquid, it has a much higher rate of expansion than a gas does when it is exposed to the high temps inside the combusion chamber. So, it raises the compression a little bit as well - right at the point of combustion when you can benefit the most from it. Additionally the alcohol itself adds a little more "fuel to the fire" as well. These two things combined are what give you the most benefit on non-turbo engines.

Incidentally, done a little reading on this because I've been thinking of doing this on my Expo eventually - can you tell?

Old 07-08-2005, 09:35 PM

Good explanation. It has similar properties are race gas, as you can increase boost without adding more fuel. Keep in mind, though, that you shouldnt be increasing boost with water injection without a logger. You need to know whats going on in your car, and shouldnt really be using it unless you have a tuning device like an safc.

Old 07-15-2005, 12:44 AM

ORIGINAL: DSMTalonAWD51

Good explanation. It has similar properties are race gas, as you can increase boost without adding more fuel. Keep in mind, though, that you shouldnt be increasing boost with water injection without a logger. You need to know whats going on in your car, and shouldnt really be using it unless you have a tuning device like an safc.
The logger and safc recommendations would only apply to turbos, right? I mean you wouldn't need to go to that extreme for a naturally aspirated engine - would you?

Old 07-15-2005, 07:10 PM

True but thats because most people with water injection get it so that they can increase the boost on a turbo car. If you dont increase boost you dont need a logger or safc, but then again its not really going to help a NA car much at all.

Old 09-25-2005, 12:36 PM

I run a waterinjection kit on my car, really just as a bit of insurance. I currently have it set up to vome on at 9psi of boost. I need to rewire the thing to actually come on based on throttle position. I know 9psi of boost seems low, but please remember im on a 10:1 comp motor. The problem with the curent set up is that im spraying when at half throttle.