Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
05 Infiniti G35
0%
06 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR
50.00%
Other
0%
What Sebba says
50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

05 G35 or 05/06 Evo IX MR

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 05 G35 or 05/06 Evo IX MR

everything you are looking for to me is pointing to a G35. You obviously dont want to be a true tuner and track racer because a true track racer doesnt give a crap about anything you are specifying. Buy the G35....end of story. When your ready to have a car that you want to mod and work on, get the evo. Until that time, dont even bother.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:55 AM

^ Exactly. But john you are wrong about the 6spd having highway gearing. Cars these days dont really have long gears. The Evo 5 spd and 6spds have the same final drive in other words at 65 mile per hour they sit about 100 RPMs apart from each other in top gear. So that means the 6 speed would be slower to 2 reasons extra weight and extra shift.

Wanting a 6spd just to say its a 6spd is such the ricer thing to do.

Wanting a real track is one thing but the things you want are NOT AT ALL a track car you need to understand that. Ok sebba I agree with you mostly except when you say speed for the G. They are not that fast. And dont have great potential unless you have mega deep wallets to get to 500HP. THe Evo now is stupid easy to get that power almost all IXs with few bolt ons are creeping on the 400WHP marks. People are now running 10s on the Stock IX turbo and running mid 9s on the stock upgrade with to the FPred.

IMO this thread is usless. you compairing to cars that are so far apart on the spectrum its pointless to even get into it. You could buy an S2k if you want a 2door track car that is very suitable minus being a 2 seater. Hell you could buy and RSX S and even those have 6spds

Old 02-16-2009, 08:03 AM

ORIGINAL: PappiDread6

Maintenance parts since they are both going to used the 1st thing Im going to do is the Timing belt/Chain and water pump. I like COP its easier to do diag on and see whats going on in each cylinder. VVT make the most out of the engine over both are smart better designs and costly. My infiniti the COP each is $120 (walk in customer cost) but cant get mad because I haven't replaced them in 100,000 miles and last ones were still good. Im looking at that as performance potential C.O.P. You know I want lowend power right?

I was talking about the previous model T-case for 91 - 05 mitsubishi AWD line up not just the evo. And see I never even heard of an SE model Evolution I will have to look into that. hmm Its really hard for me to compare the 2 since I havenot driven and Evo thats why I was looking for you here at MF to fill me in. I know the performce on the EVO beats the G35 Hands down, but what of it as a DD? The big problem with finding info on the evo is I always read and hear abouts its performance, and how people build them up and sell them.

Oh yeah with the swap, Im going to get someone else to do the electrical but as far as swaping over parts I don't find too much of a difference between the two cars. Im waiting from a customer to come through to put his car on a lift so I can do some measurments and take some pics.
The SE model is an MR with a 5spd tranny instead and it has appearence package with a lip kit and red stitched seats ect ect. The SE gets the better suspension that the MR has and get the alluminum roof like the MR. As for being a DD. They are great. I know people with well over 100K on there evos that run strong. I drove mine from FL to MA 21 hour straight threw 3 times and it didnt bat an eye.

Again I wil say this. Go Drive an VIII or IX and I BET you will want to own the Evo. The way these cars feel behind the wheel is not compairable to anything. They are a drivers car purely and everyone I know who has one said all it took was a test drive. Same with me. I was looking into an STi and After searching for about a week I decided to test out an Evo well guess what. The Evo came home with me that same day.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:41 AM

^^THANK YOU EMONZ!!!Thats the info I was looking for, after that 21 hour driver did you butt hurt tho? I know you felt all stiff and cramped. Tell me more about that. I use to have a 96 cutlass and a 2000 Concord I drove back and forth from ME to RI to Virginia Beach every summer and they were comfortable cars but they wern't performance cars. The G35 I can see myself taking a road trip in The Evo I can't because of there seats but I havent had my *** in them yet so I wasn't sure How they felt.Even the C5 Vette and the Z06 I test drove I can see myself in those for a long ride, but not a Z3, 350Z.

Also the another problem I was having was that I know of not one person who kept there Evo Stock so its hard to say if the car is an good overall reliable car. I know the block is but what about the other little stuff? I.E Chrylser will nickle and dime you with electrical parts, Ford will hit you for drive train, honda and Toyotawill nickle and dime you for lil nick nacks and body parts. I want this next car to last me 200,000+ miles. Even tho some vehicles do if you take car of them and others seems like they were made to last untill the warranty was up.

Aight as far as the 6 speed Versus 5 speed debate, You say the MR and GSR have the same final drive car, on the GSR from 4th to 5th how much of a difference is there in RPMs. 6 speeds gears IMO have always flowed well together. In the old 4 and 5 speed cars when you put it into that final drive gear you felt it because of how far down the rpms dropped. Am I making sense? I.E my Avenger (prolly the car) 1-3rd went well together I think there was at most 2,500rpm difference from shift to shift at 6,000rpm shifts, but 4th didn't match with 3rd but 4thdid with 5th and 5th was... not a final gear, come on now 3,000rpms@70mph [:@]. On other vehicles with 5 speeds 1st was separate from the rest.1st was that "just to get you going" gear, only use at dead stops and 2-5 flowed nicly still i dropped in 5th but not as bad. ehh then again it is a "Final Drive Gear"

Old 02-16-2009, 05:41 PM

As far as long trip went. Any car after 21 hours non stop you butt hurts a little. I also made this drive in a 3G and sebring with the same butt feeling. If you want a little luxury get the SSL package they come in leather not to mention the IX seats are much better than the VIII. The good thing about the Evo is you can recline the seat and slide in nice and far back.

As for reliability I know of a few people over 135k with bolt on mods and running tip top. My old Evo must be near 75k now and it is nearly 500WHP and tracked often and that was a 2003 with the Tcase that is known to be kinda weak. The thing that nickels and dimes you are maintainence. Stock clutch usually only makes about 30-40k (on the average with hard miles) mine was at 40k when I pulled it and it was still good. Plugs should be done around 3-6k, The stock tires only will get you 20-25k, as will the stock brake pads. Tcase and tranny should be flushed every 6-10k and rear diff around every 10k.

as far as the cars gearing, you are compairing to cars that are ment for putting around not racing. In the Evo 4th to 5th is no different from 3rd to 4th. The car is made to ripp through all the gears hard. The thing is that in 6th gear at 65 MPH your at like 3000RPMs and in the GSR in 5th gear at 65 your right around 3100RPMS or so. So basically they will reach speeds at the same RPM the GSR just requires one less shift. The gearing is much better for the drag. the 6spd is slightly better on autox and roadcourse but hardly at all and not worth the extra $$$ just to have the tranny go kaput after a few autoX days. The 6 speeds gears are wayyyy to short. If you have ever heard a build MR make a run through the gears it sounds like a sport bike. Evos stock tranny can top you out upwards or 170MPH or more assuming you have the power to get you there. 5th gear in the GSR is a gear you dont use untill your atleast at like 45 MPH same with 6th in the MR. They ride a little to low for the AWD to keep smooth