Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Automotive Tools...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 03:10 AM
Default Automotive Tools...

everyone talks about doing this and doing that, but my question is ... what DOES it the best?

i've just spent an hour trying to look for a good brand name "bang for my buck" tools, but im usually finding crap or too much "buck".

i've checked out sears's automotive for stuff like air compressors and impact wrenches by craftsman, but most of the tools are getting bad reviews. especially the 2ton+ floor jacks... i mean, do i really wanna buy a floor jack and stand that'll potentially kill me while im putting in a new exhaust?

yeah ... anyone know a few good brand names that arent gonna stab my wallet?
im basically looking for the basic tools ... 15 gallon air compressor, impact wrench, 2 ton tall floor jack's and jack stands...

Old 11-15-2007, 06:20 AM
Default RE: Automotive Tools...

snap on is all i use, my dad used to get it for free though, it can get a bit pricey but they have a life time warrenty and they never break, i like them

Old 11-15-2007, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Snap on has the best tools but they are expensive, there is also blue point which is like a cheaper version that snap on has.

Mac and Matco also have decent tools for a decent price. I am not to crazy abt craftsman.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:19 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: GSXEX Knubbe

everyone talks about doing this and doing that, but my question is ... what DOES it the best?

i've just spent an hour trying to look for a good brand name "bang for my buck" tools, but im usually finding crap or too much "buck".

i've checked out sears's automotive for stuff like air compressors and impact wrenches by craftsman, but most of the tools are getting bad reviews. especially the 2ton+ floor jacks... i mean, do i really wanna buy a floor jack and stand that'll potentially kill me while im putting in a new exhaust?

yeah ... anyone know a few good brand names that arent gonna stab my wallet?
im basically looking for the basic tools ... 15 gallon air compressor, impact wrench, 2 ton tall floor jack's and jack stands...
Ya you can go buy snap on and matco and those big named tools, but they are made for the everyday mechanic the guy at the shop 8+ hours a day. The craftsman tools will do you just fine, most have a life time warranty. And they will break, I cant even count how many times I have broken a tool. But hey the store is right down the street and I just go swap it out. Not like the big named guys where you have to find a truck or call them. Just think about it.......home depot, lowes, sears, they all have great tools and they are all local.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:24 AM

ORIGINAL: NESpeed
Ya you can go buy snap on and matco and those big named tools, but they are made for the everyday mechanic the guy at the shop 8+ hours a day. The craftsman tools will do you just fine, most have a life time warranty.
Exactly, for the weekend mechanic, it's kinda foolish to dump that much money in tools.

I don't care for Craftman rachets, I've broken nearly everyone I've used. Their sockets, wrenches, etc. are up to the task just fine.

Oh, btw, don't trust your life to *any* jack, that is what they make jack-stands for.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:39 AM

I've got a Snap On account, but the majority of my tools are Craftsman. Cheaper and still come with the lifetime warranty. But the Snap On truck comes to my shop every Friday and it's like having Christmas pull up to the garage door every Friday afternoon! Lol, I only use them for specialty tools though. The one plus about Snap On truck accounts is that there's no interest.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Banned

I believe jpmontero98 gets a huge *** discount on snap on tools.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Sebba

I believe jpmontero98 gets a huge *** discount on snap on tools.
Well JP u better hook me up.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:16 PM
Banned

I think its like 50% off

Old 11-15-2007, 02:59 PM

i normally get craftsman(electric angle grinders,Sockets etc)....i dont use Snap on as much exept at the autobody shop at my school and they are AWSOME!!!(i dont get discounts for s*** what are you talkin abt?lol)