Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

The quest for MPG

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 02:25 PM
Default The quest for MPG

Ok, so, heres the deal... you all know i run an auto 420a, and my neighbor a manual one... it all goes down to this, he HAS money... i dont!... somehow karma is being unfair here and im getting 150 m a tank... and hes getting around 200, over that, and still have some left.... so obviously im like WTF?! i went ahead and asked him and he says cuz its cuz of the damn Techron on the fuel he gets at chevron... is this true????, is that **** really amazing?, or it might be cuz he has an msd coilpack on his engine? can you get that much from just that mod???... note that i also have a check light on for the effing egr....

WHAT the HELL is the deal here?!?!

Old 10-01-2007, 02:34 PM
Default RE: The quest for MPG

the egr won't kill ur gas that bad but you are geting royally screwed. i got 300-340mpg in my eclipse and that was w/ a system in the back. go get a tune up. that will definatly help. fuel fulter, oil change, fuel cleaner, plugs, wires, you'll notice a good bit of difference.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:39 PM

i got my injectors cleaned like about 5 months... i guess ill just do it again... even though that scared me like ****! it backfired really bad during the process haha, like if it was running SUPER rich, i think the issue is gonna be the filters & wires, the plugs are new... i need more mpg... im poor...... haha

Old 10-01-2007, 02:46 PM

check your distributor.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:57 PM

uhm... in the 420a the distribuitor is also the coil pack, thats why i mentioned it up there... i dunno, the engine isnt running bad AT ALL... i dunno why is killing so much gas, specially when im not speeding

Old 10-01-2007, 03:03 PM

replace your o2 sensor just incase, even though it's not throwing the check engine light for it. If it doesnt get better, then your plugs might be fouled since you cleaned your injectors out and ran super rich.

Good luck

Gus

Old 10-01-2007, 03:08 PM

oh no, but i changed the plugs way after that, i got those about, 2 months ago, not that long.... but now that you mention it... the o2 sounds like a winner..... does the 420a have 2? or just one? i cant remember and i lost my effing haynes.....

EDIT: OK! did my research... i found both upstream and downstream and their locations.... things is, how do i know theyre bad? hehe, and also, a clogged up catalyst or a non functioning one, could also drop my mpg?

Old 10-01-2007, 04:19 PM

it absolutely could drop gas mileage, Bad cats are usually a result of horrible o2 sensors. Change both primary and secondary o2s and have a new cat installed. Also clean out your throttle body with carb cleaner from the local auto shop. Once these task have been done. test it out. If it continues let me know and i'll suggest something else

Gus

Old 10-01-2007, 08:47 PM

Thank you very much evo =) ill look into that... ouchies.... o2 sensors are a bit xpensive haha

Old 10-01-2007, 10:27 PM

There is nothing cheap in the world of dsm. LOL

Quick Reply: The quest for MPG