Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

What is better for inland waterways, a canoe or a kayak?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 06:56 AM
Default What is better for inland waterways, a canoe or a kayak?

It depends on the type of water and your needs/preferences. If I am running white water, I always go for a kayak, designed for white water. If I am on a green flow river, I usually take a kayak, maybe a shortened touring boat, or a speeder. On green flow, I also canoe, usually taking a 14-foot length with a 2 ft beam. If I am pootling about on a still lake/reservoir, I usually take a sea kayak, bad habit, but they are better than a speeder, I love the Romany Classic. If I am racing on flat water, my crewmate and I will take the K2 racing kayak, we call her Gladys.
AND
What is better for inland waterways, a canoe or a kayak?
__________________________________________________ _______________________
Source: https://canoesurfer.net/best-family-canoe

Old 02-03-2020, 08:57 PM

Solo canoes and kayaks are really two different animals, and each has clear advantages and disadvantages.
Kayaks are a pain in the a** for trips with multiple portages, for obvious reasons: a way to portage it, and a willingness to pack things in smaller bags to accommodate the kayak. If you are willing to accept those, then it might work for you.
The canoe cover will help keep wind and water out of your boat and allow you to use traditional portage pack(s) instead of smaller drybags, but canoe in general has less maneuverability. Still I prefer them for solo trips.
But it's primarily depends on the route you're planning, ingram.

Last edited by peraspera; 02-09-2020 at 09:46 PM.