Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Tuner Transformation....(sic)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 10:43 PM
Default Tuner Transformation....(sic)

Anybody watch Tuner Transformation this week? It was the hour long episode where they redo an Audi A4 1.8t quattro. Alright.....This show just pissed me off. The car was cool and everything, but the whole scenario is just too wrong. The car belongs to a guy who's 18 years old and received it as a birthday present. He's into the "import scene" because of the Fast and Furious movie(he said so himself on the show). He want's it to "look sic, sound sic, and be sic". Alright, so the kid's a spoiled brat and cocky...we figured. One of the main Tuner dudes, i think his name is John, is like freakin out because he totally thinks the kid is ******** and needs to be slapped. But the other two guys are all like "it's cool, it's alright". So whatever...you think a brand new A4 would be a nice little project car...maybe a small turbo upgrade and body kit, right? Well they budget the thing $15,000!!! They spend $15 grand on a brand new a4 that some kid got for free because his daddy's rich. And the kid doesn't have to spend a penny!!! All the mods were done for free. To give you an idea of what they did, It makes over 300hp to the WHEELS now!!! It has an AGP stage 3 turbo upgrade with FMIC, complete exhaust system, new injectors, FREAKIN' Ohlins Coilovers with REMOTE RESIVOIRS(!!!MUCHO CASH!!!), Pfaff Body kit, almost complete custom interior, TWO CLASS D AMPS and three 10" subs along with complete in-cabin speaker upgrades, 18" BBS wheels, and custom vinyl graphics. Now, this spoiled little brat not only gets a brand new car, but get's it totally "transformed" with like top of the line components....and all for FREE!!!! FREE, FREE, FREAKIN FREE!!!!! And this isn't like a one time thing either, the epsiode before did a 95 BMW M3!!!! And they gave that owner $5,000 worth of free crap!!! Plus, the owner of the M3 was a weatherlady for the local news there....so she's not straining for cash either. What the hell is wrong with that show??? They also did an owners brand new WRX STI, BUT since they overbudgeted the last project, they only gave him like ONLY $3500 worth of free crap!!! I also think they did someones NEW RSX Type S. Why can't they pick REAL college kids who actually have to work to pay for school, car payments, AND insurance??? Or guys who drive like plain cars??? I haven't seen all the episodes, but the only one I can remember where they actually HELPED a NORMAL PERSON is where they did an s13. And all they did was an sr20 swap and gave it some wheels or something...definitely didn't spend too much money on that car. I'm sure the show is getting a lot email from people right now....And they should. The rich people get free things and totally tuned cars while the regular nobodys get to "watch". Yeah, that's real cool. Hell, i've spent around $300 just trying to gather parts for my turbo kit....i definitely am on a tight budget, but would the show ever consider me? Probably not, because i don't drive a BMW or AUDI or STI....just a "plain" tuner car.
I know the mechanic dudes don't pick the cars they do, or the people, but they should get to pick whether or not they want to do the car. The person who picks out these cars needs to be fired, or this shows gonna get too much hate mail. Now, I'm gonna look on the info screen on cable to see whether or not they are doing like someones new BMW Z8 or NSX before i tune in to watch. No use in giving ratings to a show that is morally wrong or corrupt, it's probably the producers or someones friends and family getting the retuned cars. Well, anyways, anybody watch it?

Old 09-21-2004, 11:55 PM
Default RE: Tuner Transformation....(sic)

What commercials are playing during an episode. I bet that plays a small part in it. It's all about the advertising.

Old 09-22-2004, 11:15 AM

Well, check it out, it's on Speed Channel, so almost every commercial was about NASCAR or promo's for other Speed Channel Shows. Since i saw it on Tuesday, they had the promo's for Two Wheel Tuesday(a pretty cool bike show actually, features a lot of MotoGP and they have a sportbike build up) and Wind Tunnel. Wind Tunnel is "supposed" to feature all kinds of racing like AMLS, FA, IRL, CART....all that stuff. I tuned in one day and about 80% off the show was focused on NASCAR. About ten minutes giving quick recaps of like open wheel racing series and stuff...an then the rest was just NASCAR. Now, if any of you know me, I am not a NASCAR fan. It think it's like the most pointless racing series in the world. What's so good about driving either a Taurus, Stratus, or Monte Carlo in a big oval? It's not the cars i don't like, it's the fact that they're driving in a big OVAL. Yeah, IRL drives in a big oval too, and consequently i'm a CART fan. CART occasionally drives oval tracks, but they mostly stick to road courses or street courses. Nascar Fans are always like "well would you go 200mph with four guys surrounding you in 600hp cars?" My answer is usually "Would you do the same thing driving in the streets of Toronto, Miami, or Modena....just faster?" I dunno, Speed Channel has just degraded to nothing since they picked up NASCAR. Their goal for the channel was to get more viewers by showing NASCAR during the week, and then any other motorsports during the weekend. That includes any open wheel series, any sportbike or superbike series, any rallying events, and any dirtbike events. So NASCAR gets 5 days and things like Pikes Peak, the 24 hours of LeMans, the SCCA runoffs, and any Toyota Formula Atlantic program all get squeezed into two days. Coincidentally, if there are any NASCAR races during the weekends, Speed Channel shows it. Although Speed Channel does have shows like Tuner Transformation, Sports Car Revolution, Two Wheel Tuesday, and some other decent programs, i have a feeling that the old employees of Speed Network(It was called that before the corporates changed it Speed Channel and dumped all the NASCAR crap in there) are responsible for those shows. Sports Car Revolution is by far the best Weekly series on that channel now and used to follow Tuner Transformation. However, this week they dumped it to make room for the hour long Audi A4 build-up. Oh, as for the commercials that weren't NASCAR or Speed Channel promos, i distinctly remember a Miller and Havoline commercial....and guess what series they sponsors? Man, cable sucks.

Old 09-22-2004, 02:55 PM

I don't get speed channel. I have watched recently, but the whole nascar thing is a turn off for me as well.

I liked it better when it was speedvision and they were always showing the jap, euro, and aussie GT series racing. That was awesome. They used to show lots of rally racing then as well.

Old 09-24-2004, 09:42 AM

Yeah, I miss the rally racing. It is squeezed into an hour at like 11 pm now And the Tuner Transformation did suck ***! I usually watch it on a regualr basis but I don't think I will be anymore...unless they shape up and do REAL peoples cars.

Old 09-28-2004, 05:42 PM

rich brats... GRRRRR... sounds like those kids we had in here a couple of months back... "Mommy says i can spend up to 50K on a car" freakin 15yrs old.......... OK im better now...

Old 09-29-2004, 01:53 PM

Wildwest, if that makes you mad, i won't even tell you what's happening on our site. In our Lancer forum. Second subject down. Threadstarter is driftracer. I'm not even gonna try to clue you in...(he's 16)...cause i don't wanna make you mad...(Evo or STI)...

But yeah, check it out, when i was 15, my dad was like "you can get any car you want, just go to college and get a good job and when you're 40 years old, you can have whatever you want". After that, i got a real job....yeah...i was running numbers and bootlegging....yeah...not really....i worked in grocery store.....but almost the same....

Old 09-29-2004, 02:03 PM

thank god for the real parents out there

Old 09-29-2004, 06:10 PM

my parents told me when i was 10 that the car was my problem... so i got a job and then a few more and summer before i was 16 i bought a 92 duster... month later some old bitty hit it on her way to church... so i took what little i got out of insurance and bought 5L of american muscle... then i traded it on a fast car... my clipse...

Old 09-30-2004, 06:24 PM

ok, get this, my first car was a 1500 dollar 1980 fiat spider, parents bought it when i was 15, so i could fix it up a little, paid it back to them before i was 16 drove that for a year and blew the engine up, bought a 4500 dollar 90 stang 5 0 at 17 that i saved all year for, drove it for 2 1/2 years before i blew the engine up in that one, then got my eclipse financed, with my parents help, but its in my name, and i pay all the bills, insurance, repairs on it...... it really made me understand what financial responsibility is...... all the kids today are gonna grow up and expect everything to be paid for them, cause thats all theyve ever known.... must be nice to be a rich spoiled little ****head that doesnt have the slightest clue what the real world is like....... *sigh* ok, sorry, just had to vent a little.............im good now.........

Quick Reply: Tuner Transformation....(sic)