Mitsubishi Triton MQ - paint failure above windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2024, 05:59 AM
Default Mitsubishi Triton MQ - paint failure above windshield

I have a Mitsubishi Triton MQ with a 'known paint failure' above the windshield. It is now out of warranty but I was instructed by the dealership to organize 2-3 quotations for repair by qualified repair companies and submit them to Mitsubishi Australia as a 'goodwill claim' (since out of warranty). Additional photographs were taken by the dealership and submitted to Mitsubishi Australia last month. Within one week, the claim was declined, with an explanation that this was probably due to a stone chip from regular use. I could acknowledge and accept this if the failure did start from a stone chip. But it started to delaminate before any stone chips occurred and the entire head is starting to delaminate consistent with paint failure versus accidental damage. This was verified/concurred by all three panel repair assessors and even the service department managers at Mitsubishi. They explained it was a known fault in solid white and solid red and one of the main reasons all new models have shifted to metallic paint equivalents. Everyone I spoke to concurred that this was a known fault and similar to the issues experienced by Toyota vehicle owners who were part of the class action against Toyota for known paint failures. I have since visited Facebook Triton forums and there is a group called Triton Paint Failure Group. I have since found the lawyers responsible for the successful class action against Toyota and would encourage Triton owners here who are experiencing the same common paint issues as me to contact William Roberts Lawyers at this link: https://www.williamroberts.com.au/contact/ . Ultimately, I am just looking to have this paint fault repaired and not seeking anything more than that. It's a great car and I would like to keep it for many more years but this paint issue will be very difficult to abate without more significant repairs. That said, some of the quotations varied from between $4000-6000. That's outside of my reach. Especially, since the issue is most likely due to paint failure and not accidental damage. I'm happy to share images with other members here to verify things. But I'd like to see if there are other Mitsubishi Triton owners on here with similar paint faults that would be interested in pursuing things further?

Thanks.