PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

I need O2 sensor help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Default I need O2 sensor help!!

I have a 2000 Montero Sport and I'm changing the o2 sensors but the upstream sensors that are sold have a different clip than the downstream. So I can't clip the sensor into the rig. I know they have universal sensors but I was wondering if I can just hook up a downstream type sensor into the upstream sensor since those clips are the same. Possible? What's the difference between them? The tips off the sensors are different for the upstream and downstream, why is that? I know the function of the sensors, I am just wondering if they are interchangeable and, if not, why?

Old 04-11-2024, 07:01 AM
Default OX sensors

Originally Posted by Medger
I have a 2000 Montero Sport and I'm changing the o2 sensors but the upstream sensors that are sold have a different clip than the downstream. So I can't clip the sensor into the rig. I know they have universal sensors but I was wondering if I can just hook up a downstream type sensor into the upstream sensor since those clips are the same. Possible? What's the difference between them? The tips off the sensors are different for the upstream and downstream, why is that? I know the function of the sensors, I am just wondering if they are interchangeable and, if not, why?
Hi. No,they are not interchangeable.
The upstream sensors are different because they actually 'sampl' ambient air to regulate the fuel/air ratio. Downstream sensor checks the gases left by the cayalytic converter.(efficiency).
Return wrong sensors,if possible. It's best to use O.E sensors if you can. I know parts are getting ridiculously expensive,but it's better to bite the bullet and pay more.
* Always check the dealer for price theses days, even to have a comparison. I've found they are less expensive than Autozone,Advance,etc.a number of times, for better quality too.
HTH.

Old 04-11-2024, 07:01 AM

"sample"...