PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

03 Montero Limited cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 02:21 AM
Default 03 Montero Limited cranks but won't start

Hello...was running fine one day. Sat for a couple of days and will not crank since...4 weeks of trying. No oil or coolant cross-contamination, and both are full. Battery freshly charged. I've tried it with throttle pedal all the way down, pumping midway, as well as untouched. Air filter is clean and I cleaned the throttle body and MAF sensor. Fuses are all good. I've also tried spraying starter fluid into the intake manifold...still no change.

I checked codes and these are present:
P0171 (freeze frame data attached)
P0401
P0431
P0421

Does anyone have any suggestions where to start and how? I've got a test light and voltmeter.
Thanks!

Old 10-15-2020, 06:09 PM

Hello I’m having a similar problem with my montero. Mine will run in starter fluid but it will not stay running. I’ve changed fuel pump and Filter and still nothing. It’s getting spark but no fuel. I can hear the the pressure regulator clinking on and off but it seems to not be getting fuel. I was told to check the immobilizer as it may shut the fuel off. Sorry I have a montero sport not a limited.

Last edited by Stubby; 10-15-2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Stubby
Hello I’m having a similar problem with my montero. Mine will run in starter fluid but it will not stay running. I’ve changed fuel pump and Filter and still nothing. It’s getting spark but no fuel. I can hear the the pressure regulator clinking on and off but it seems to not be getting fuel. I was told to check the immobilizer as it may shut the fuel off. Sorry I have a montero sport not a limited.
did you ever solve the starting problem?

Old 05-29-2023, 08:01 PM
Default No start

Originally Posted by wilde
Hello...was running fine one day. Sat for a couple of days and will not crank since...4 weeks of trying. No oil or coolant cross-contamination, and both are full. Battery freshly charged. I've tried it with throttle pedal all the way down, pumping midway, as well as untouched. Air filter is clean and I cleaned the throttle body and MAF sensor. Fuses are all good. I've also tried spraying starter fluid into the intake manifold...still no change.

I checked codes and these are present:
P0171 (freeze frame data attached)
P0401
P0431
P0421

Does anyone have any suggestions where to start and how? I've got a test light and voltmeter.
Thanks!
I'm having similar issues did you ever
figure out what was causing it