Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   PCM & Fuel Systems (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/pcm-fuel-systems-26/)
-   -   Engine Code P0171 (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/pcm-fuel-systems-26/engine-code-p0171-20464/)

98gstspy 07-15-2007 12:37 AM

Engine Code P0171

#P0171- According to the book it means "System adaptive feul too lean (bank 1)".How Would I go about fixing this code? the only Mod I have on my car @ this time is a K&N intake system. That is all if any body can tell me how to fix it that would be great. I also have a new Greddy upper/lower I/C pipes and a AEM Fuel Rail thatI have not had time toput on yet

Dusty Eclipse 07-15-2007 12:40 AM

RE: Engine Code P0171

Basically this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 1 detected a lean condition (too much oxygen in the exhaust).

A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters (K&N, etc.) can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled
There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.

My guess, btw, is the first one.

98gstspy 07-15-2007 12:43 AM

Would putting on bigger injectors help me out? I was looking at some that flow 400cc from summit racing

Dusty Eclipse 07-15-2007 12:45 AM

What the hell? No. That wont help. You need to clean your MAF (most likely) use brake cleaner or something like it. Just spray the bitch down.

98gstspy 07-15-2007 12:48 AM

WhatI ment with the injectors is would that be a good way to some more power out of the engine w/out having to go to a bigger fuel pump or a new pressure regulator. WouldI have to modify the ECU like they are telling me or wouldI still be in safe conditions

Dusty Eclipse 07-15-2007 12:52 AM

If you get larger injectors, Id suggest also installing a larger fuel pump... i.e.-Walbro 255. But none of those things will rid you of your problem. Not efficiently anyway. The best way to get a good amount of power outta that is by installing a new turbo. Like a 16g or a hybrid. Its likely that your car has a t25... and those things... well... they aint the best.

98gstspy 07-15-2007 12:57 AM

Would those be big enough or shouldI go bigger. It is a stock 2g turbo that I most likly wont change and if i do it wont be for a long time. Im really just looking for somthing that will get me going Faster w/out having to change major parts ie-turbo. by the way thank you for your help on this little problem, my first car and im trying to make it a nice one.

Dusty Eclipse 07-15-2007 01:05 AM

The turbo isnt that hard to change... no harder than redoing your fuel system (IMO) time wise anyway. Besides, more fuel w/o more air will just give you a NEW engine code showing a RICH condition. Youll need a few things first anyway, before you can just change out your injectors. Stock the car has 450s... as far as I know, so 400 wouldnt help you... it would impede you.
Example - Im running 650s... but Ive also got a t3/t4. Thusly it sort of necessitates larger injectors.

silvercoupe97 07-15-2007 01:14 AM

ORIGINAL: 98gstspy

#P0171- According to the book it means "System adaptive feul too lean (bank 1)".How Would I go about fixing this code? the only Mod I have on my car @ this time is a K&N intake system. That is all if any body can tell me how to fix it that would be great. I also have a new Greddy upper/lower I/C pipes and a AEM Fuel Rail thatI have not had time toput on yet
You may have a boost leak or your MAF sensor is caked like Dusty stated.
Don't put that fuel rail on...there's no need for it at this point, the stock fuel rail flows a lot and isn't needed until you pass at least 500chp.

Would putting on bigger injectors help me out? I was looking at some that flow 400cc from summit racing
You should have 450cc injectors in there now. That's stock.

WhatI ment with the injectors is would that be a good way to some more power out of the engine w/out having to go to a bigger fuel pump or a new pressure regulator. WouldI have to modify the ECU like they are telling me or wouldI still be in safe conditions
Bigger fuel injectors means you will need a bigger pump or else you're just wasting your money on a half ass fuel system...don't forget an adjustable fuel pressure regulator also.
You will need some sort of fuel management if you upgrade your fuel system + turn up the boost pressure.

Would those be big enough or shouldI go bigger. It is a stock 2g turbo that I most likly wont change and if i do it wont be for a long time. Im really just looking for somthing that will get me going Faster w/out having to change major parts ie-turbo. by the way thank you for your help on this little problem, my first car and im trying to make it a nice one.
The t25 runs out of breath around 5500 RPMs, so your only real hope to gain a little bit is to do the free mods, get a 1G bov, and wait until you save up some money to upgrade the turbo and fuel system.
...and no, larger injectors on a t2g turbo won't do you any good. If anything, you'll only run more rich which will hinder performance.
Follow this upgrade path..
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/2gupgradepath.htm
..and don't put anything in half ass. Do a system all at once and not piece by piece. I don't mean that you can't buy piece by piece, I mean don't put them into your car in that way.

98gstspy 07-15-2007 01:14 AM

Do you have any suggestions on howI can make it faster w/out having to change out my turbo?

Dusty Eclipse 07-15-2007 01:19 AM

Oh youre just doing better at this cuz u havent been drinking all night and its not 2:15am where u are, Silver. lol.

Dusty Eclipse 07-15-2007 01:21 AM

Though Im actually noticing you sort of just summed up what I said... lol

98gstspy 07-15-2007 01:25 AM

Now you Said get 1g Bov, is there a reason for that one or can i go with a greddy one.

98gstspy 07-15-2007 01:28 AM

the only thing with the greddy Bov is that it will have to get adjusted and i dont know how to make it so it is just right for my turbo.

Dusty Eclipse 07-15-2007 01:31 AM

Dont tell me that youre planning to release to atmosphere? (That psssshhh sound like in the movies is created by doing that) lol, then again, the cars already running lean.. maybe thatll even things out! No, Im kidding... dont do that. 1G BOV isnt a plastic POS like the 2G. It will hold more pressure. AND u can crush it. More info on that www.vfaq.com

98gstspy 07-15-2007 01:39 AM

Will that bolt on to my Greddy I/C hard pipes that i bought or will i have to get differnt pipes.

Dusty Eclipse 07-15-2007 01:52 AM

You have a FMIC? Or just replacement pipes?

98gstspy 07-15-2007 01:57 AM

these are the ones that Greddy sell as a replacment for the factory pipes or they are used for when you upgrade the intercooler so i and to say they are just replacements they go right in place of the old ones exactly. thanks for your help again i know some of these are stupid questions but i really dont know how to modify a turbo car to get more power out of it.

98gstspy 07-15-2007 02:10 AM

just a quick question sence i have the fuel rail would it hurt to put it on or should i just forget about it. and if i was to put it on what if anything would happen.

Dusty Eclipse 07-15-2007 02:11 AM

In which case, yes, it should bolt right up. Once again though, DONT vent to atmosphere...

98gstspy 07-15-2007 02:19 AM

where would i get a 1g Bov is there an online store or is a junk yard the best place to look for it?

silvercoupe97 07-15-2007 02:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Dusty Eclipse

Though Im actually noticing you sort of just summed up what I said... lol
Lmao, dude, you're cracking me up, lol.
I was agreeing with you and I just reiterated it, lol...you drunk bastard, lmao.

98gstpy, the 1G bov won't bolt up to your bov flange. You've got the 2g bov flange on there and it needs to be removed and the 1G bov flange welded on. At this point you can go with any bov you like because you will have to get a new flange welded on anyhow, just make sure you get one that can be recirculated back into the intake tract...like Dusty stated ;)
I see what you're saying with the upper intercooler piping, so, yes, go with the Greddy bov so that will keep installation easy.

98gstspy 07-15-2007 11:25 AM

how wouldI go about adjusting the greddy Bov? it can ajust from hard to soft what is your recomendations on adjusting it or shouldI just leave it the way it comes from the factory.

Dusty Eclipse 07-15-2007 11:40 AM

Theres a screw on the top.

98gstspy 07-15-2007 11:42 AM

Iknow about the screw but how do i know that it is just right for my car?

Dusty Eclipse 07-15-2007 11:46 AM

Play around with it. Trust me, youll know.

98gstspy 07-15-2007 11:51 AM

Ihave to say that you are ver knowledgeable about cars and you have really helped me out alot. one last question for know scence i bought the fuel rail would it hurt it if i put it on or should i just scrap it-which i really dont want to do it cost like $200

Dusty Eclipse 07-15-2007 01:37 PM

Hang on to it, but right now theres not much point in putting it on.

silvercoupe97 07-15-2007 06:48 PM

The bov should also have writing on the top. It says "soft" with an arrow pointing in one direction and "hard" in the opposite direction.

98gstspy 07-15-2007 07:39 PM

now if i went with a 16g turbo what size injectors would be best. the car really isnt gonna be raced on a track i just want it faster for myself. the car is more of my everyday driver. would 550cc be able to handle it or should i go bigger. the turbo kit I am looking at is from turbokits.com and they have 3 differnt options: Mitsu 16g, Mitsu big 16g, or a Mitsu Evo 3 big 16g which would be best, in your opinion. will that be okay on an automatic trany?

Dusty Eclipse 07-15-2007 08:09 PM

What is with you and injectors? lol... Evo3 big 16G, but theyre all relatively the same arent they. That would all go fine with an auto. You just really wanna use that fuel rail dont you?

98gstspy 07-15-2007 08:12 PM

if i go with the Evo 3 16g would i have to get bigger injectors or would the stock ones still work. i dont want to have my car running on lean conditions. I will probly use that fuel rail because i am going to be putting in some gauges and one of them will be a fuel pressure guage so it already has a spot for me to put it on there.

silvercoupe97 07-15-2007 08:18 PM

The E316G is your best bet in that lineup.
This FAQ has a perfect explaination of this turbo and a fuel setup.
https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_125438/tm.htm

Auto tranny...it all depends on it's current shape. That also goes for the motor. Do not mod your motor is your motor hasn't had a current tune up. In other words, if your car is missing here and there, if your car has a rough idle, if your car...blah, blah, blah....don't mod it until your car is in better condition. This is also a reason to do a compression check, a boost leak (it's always a good time to do this). Just use your common sense, don't rag out an already ragged out motor. ;)

silvercoupe97 07-15-2007 08:22 PM

if i go with the Evo 3 16g would i have to get bigger injectors or would the stock ones still work. i dont want to have my car running on lean conditions. I will probly use that fuel rail because i am going to be putting in some gauges and one of them will be a fuel pressure guage so it already has a spot for me to put it on there.
When you upgrade your fuel system, I only hope, you get an AFPR also. When you do this, the AFPR will have a spot for a fuel pressure gauge. That's where you want one, so that you can monitor pressure at this point in the line. So, that reason really isn't a good one. The true reason is that you have it, why not use it? That in itself is a good enough reason....see, that's why you don't just buy things because you see them in turbo mags ;)
You've got a turbo car, IMO, don't bling it. It's made for power and can be made to put out more power. If you want to bling an Eclipse, buy a cheap GS/RS and bling it....no offense to our GS/RS members :D

Mitsuoutlander 03-04-2019 04:22 PM

Lean code

Ok so I bought a short ram intake pipe for my outlander and I had to modify it to fit my map sensor on it . So I installed it after that and it popped the Lean code . I've done some research and it pops eighther from the vacuum hose after the map sensor ( not good fitting , loose rubber grommet hose is in .) Or from the warm air from engine because I read that the cold air intake pipes that are put on away from engine bay suck in actual cold air and don't affect the map sensor . So my question is should I extend the pipe to front of grill or add shroud around it with a little scoop on hood or do I just need to take it off ?