PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Fuel leak

Old 05-28-2007, 11:21 PM
Default Fuel leak

Well I went out to my car 2 try a new tune, and my car wouldn't start @ all...i started smelling fuel so I got him to try and start it while I looked in the engine bay..Thats when I noticed fuel gushing out everytime you try 2 start it...here Is a pic or 2 of the spot leaking. What is is this called?..so I no what 2 replace?...

[IMG]local://upfiles/10068/360EF15966D8481ABD882EAD62C5FBA8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10068/AF21653119A94EE9A08C4B2390EB5A9F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-28-2007, 11:43 PM
Default RE: Fuel leak

That would be your stock fuel pressure regulator.
Yeah, it shouldn't be leaking out fuel.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:50 PM

I thought I bypassed that when i put my afpr on. I just left the electrical plugged up?..guess i was wrong. One more thing 2 buy. Could that have been letting in air where it was leaking and causing it 2 idle like crap 2?

Old 05-29-2007, 12:15 AM

Well, it still has the rubber lines on it for vacuum. You don't have to leave it connected to the new AFPR, just remove the vacuum lines and leave it electrically connected.

Oh, and yes, it could have created the loss in pressure and caused poor idle, revs, and it would have been a soon to be fire source, lol.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:55 AM

Pfft....JLH, I just noticed that I didn't put the word "solenoid" in any of my posts[:@]
That part that is leaking is a FPR solenoid, btw. Not just stock FPR, it's the stock FPR solenoid....sorry bro. I just wanted to clear that up.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:57 AM

...you know, just thinking about it. That solenoid shouldn't be leaking and it should be touching fuel at all. You may want to check your afpr. It's leaking.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:11 PM

See i've already had 2 send my afpr back to aeromotive to get something done cause it was leaking. But it's fixed. So you think its the the solenoid?...or the stock?..the little black pice that the fingers touching just comes off. its not attached..its just sitting on there. I held it on real tight then tried 2 start it, and it didnt hardly leak at all...oh and yea i was like holy ****...that would be a fire quick!...

Old 05-29-2007, 05:09 PM

Here's the thing JLH. With that solenoid connected to your AFPR and boost gauge, you have fuel leaking past the AFPR's diaphram, going into the vacuum line, getting into the fuel solenoid, possibly getting bits and pieces of fuel down and into the boost gauge (since it's usually connected to the same vacuum source) and then fuel in the intake manifold.
How tight do you have the dead plug, fuel intake, and gauge fittings tightened down? Are they flush with the afpr's body? I'm thinking that the plugs are tightened all the way down to where the plugs are flush with the body? I have this one..

..and if you tighten the fittings down too far, they push against the metal plunger thing inside. Pushing it up and allowing fuel to get sucked up past the gasket.

I had mine apart before I put it in my car just to see how it works and had all the fittings in with the black top section off. None of my fittings are tightened all the way down, btw.
Anyway, with the top off I could clearly see that the fittings were pushing the plunger up, that plunger also opened into the return line. So, with that, there's fuel returning to the tank and your losing pressure AND you've got another leak.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:27 PM

My real name is Josh. Well I took a look @ mine and sure enough. I got them as tight as I possibly could get them....here is a few pics. Should i just back each one off some?

[IMG]local://upfiles/10068/95D6CDA7DF534093A465A18BB7E1B7E3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10068/3BCA387BFB574E1BB77FE9B1ACE78862.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10068/6541633D4FF940F5867DC5EDE9895476.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-29-2007, 11:25 PM

Oh ok Josh.
Here's what I would do...leave the solenoid connected for now, let that be your "see through glass" or window if you will. It will obviously release some fuel if the afpr is leaking past the seal. I'd rather some of that fuel be released out of the solenoid hole (with a rag or cup or both, under it to catch the drops) than dumped into the manifold. It'll just bog out worse. If it stops leaking fuel, the problem solved.
Anyway, if you don't mind doing some extra work, release the gas pressure (be ready to catch some fuel) remove the upper half of the afpr. The rubber gasket diaphram thing should be flat. If it's raised even a little bit, that's your issue. If that's the case...remove the blank plug and the fuel input fitting (and whatever else you've got connected to the regulator) and wrap them with teflon tape before you put them back on to keep them from leaking...actually all the fittings should have some sort of sealant on the threads to keep them from leaking, including the vacuum fitting and adjustment bolt. Those last two will leak a tiny bit of air and will show incorrect boost/hg on the gauge, give a wrong fuel pressure, and idle will suffer but in a tiny amount...it's still an air leak though. I like teflon tape because there's no waiting for it to dry over liquid thread sealants and if I have to remove the bolt (it will shred), I just remove the old and replace with the new.
Oh yeah, once you've removed fuel pressure and sealed the fittings/nipple/bolt...the big fittings that are located on the lower body, put them back in with the top part still removed. Just don't tighten them as you have them in the pic. After you've replace everything, make sure the hex bolts that hold the top to the bottom are tightened down...no need to torque them, just be sure that they are tight. Those don't need teflon tape btw.

I only say this because mine would leak also and it was because the fittings were screwed in too far and it would push the plunger up. This in turn opened to the return line and I'd loose pressure, plus it caused the gasket/diaphram to lose it's seal and I had fuel coming out the adjuster bolt.
The only difference that I can visibly see is that your has a bigger base.
Regardless, you have a leak from the AFPR and I'm betting it's the gasket/diaphram.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel leak