For Sale / Trade Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Private and commercial posts are also welcome!

1988 SWB Raider / Montero

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2024, 05:07 AM
Default 1988 SWB Raider / Montero

VIN JB7FJ43E8JJ015900

Here’s a rare opportunity to acquire a very nice 1988 Mitsubishi Montero / Dodge Raider. She’s 36 years old, but it’ll be hard to find one in this condition. My Son acquired an 88 Short Wheel Base model and he and I restored it. As a result, I acquired another and just completed her.

The PAJERO/MONTERO entered the Dakar Rally 26 times and won a total of 12 victories with an unprecedented seven consecutive wins to become known to all motorsports fans around the world as the “King of the Desert”. This was a one-family car since new and spent all of her life in Northwestern New Mexico. This is a Dodge Raider—which is identical to the Mitsubishi Montero. Dodge imported them and re-branded them. Many of the parts are labeled ‘Mitsubishi’. This is a short wheel base (SWB), two-door example. If you’re aware, circa 1989 the US levied a tariff on all SUV imports with only two doors. That’s why Toyota, Land Rover, Mercedes, and other importers stopped building 2-door SUVs for the US market. If you’re familiar with these SUV’s, they have a strong customer base—almost a ‘cult following’. There are numerous forums, a Facebook page, and several dedicated parts suppliers. I need about 2 hours to COMPLETELY finish her before the sale...(which I'll get to in the next few days after work..). But I feel she's ready to list and the photos are illustrative of the condition and the work I've completed. In a effort to be fully transparent (and not waste your time or mine), here she is!! New Front Brakes New Rear Brakes New Front & Rear Shocks New Passenger and Driver Door Panels New Muffler New Rear Door Panel New Carpet New Spare Tire and Tire Cover New Seat Covers Upgraded head lights Weber Carb modification Was told the motor was rebuilt at some point but really don’t have more detail. Clear New Mexico Title. You can drive her home—but it’ll take you a while. These cars were made when the national speed limit was 55 mph. She runs comfortably a 65-70mph in 5th gear. Onto her condition: The positive: * Almost no rust * No hail damage. * Motor 10/10. Runs very strong. * Incredible torque in low range. 3rd through 5th gears will get her up to speed. * Transmission & clutch 10/10. Shifts smoothly through all 5 gears * Tires: 8/10. Goodyear Wranglers 235/70/R15’s with 60% treat remaining * Locking front hubs * Paint: 6/10. I used cutting compound and got her shine back—but there are some blemished areas. * Interior lights operational * Original AM/FM Stereo * Original seats 7/10. They show some wear but are in pretty good condition * Folding rear seat. * Headliner intact. * Front and rear wipers operational. * All interior gages are operational and back-lit when head lights are on. * High beams are operational. * Turn signals are operational. * Door locks and locking gas cap cover are operational. She comes with two keys that open all doors and gas cap cover. * Remote gas cover is operational. * All OEM mirrors (external and internal) are operational. Outside and inside rear view mirrors are operational. * Comes with clean New Mexico Title and bill of sale. * She’s a very solid car with heavy gage steel—like they used to make back then. * Driver and passenger sit up high with great visibility in all directions. The neutral: * I don’t know if she’ll pass emissions. It isn’t required where I live. Depending on where you register her, you may need to address this. * She has an angle iron front bumper—attached to the frame with two nuts/bolts/lock washers. I put a few spot welds at the base to secure her—but those are easily removed with a hammer and chisel. * Driver and Passenger manual windows roll up and down with some effort. I lubricated the system when I replaced the door panels and she showed some improvement. The negative: *Is equipped with Air Conditioning, but the blower motor is inoperative. Wiper washer is inoperative. * Front Windshield is cracked. All other glass is fine. * Radio WAS working until I removed the antenna. Apparently somehow I disconnected the antenna wire from the stereo. So, she's not picking up stations very well...just a lot of static. I may try to fix this but access is problematic. I answer any questions you may have. She’s located in Pueblo, Colorado and can be seen/driven/picked up here. I track the resale of these cars very closely. For a 36-year old SUV, I've seen very few in this condition. Do your own research, and you'll see. $8,500 cash or best offer.