Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Anyone change the transmission valve body cover?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 08:04 PM
Default Anyone change the transmission valve body cover?

Mine was so rusted it was leaking ATF. Got it off and the dip stick bracket/filler tube came with it. The new one doesn't have the dipstick bracket filler tube. I haven't looked too much into it yet, but anyone know from experience how these two things come apart?

Thanks in advance.

One other curious note, I bought the ATF filter from discountmitsubishiparts.com: Mitsubishi Outlander 2007 Engine Parts transaxle parts Parts - Discount Mitsubishi Parts but I couldn't find a section in the manual for changing it, and read that apparently this vehicle doesn't have one?

Old 08-29-2017, 06:02 PM

Re the filter, I asked my servicing dealer about it when the fluid was due to be changed at a service and they initially said there wasn't one. However, they checked up and subsequently said there is one but they said they had never changed one. They said they could get one so I intend to get one for the next time the trans fluid is due.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:50 PM

I've yet to change mine out. I don't think it is meant to be changed.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:09 PM

For anyone interested about the transmission dipstick, see attached pics. I put some heat to it and wiggled it apart. Looks like there might have been an oring in there. I'll install it in the new pan with some RTV silicon and it should be fine.

Also, here's the reason I'm changing it:

Old 09-07-2017, 12:10 PM

wow, that's some serious cancer. thanks for the pics...one more thing to check next time I'm under it.

I wonder if it'd be a good idea to give the new one a coating of underbody/truck bed coating to help protect it a bit more?

Old 09-15-2017, 08:10 PM

There's no shortage of things that rust under these vehicles:

Transmission cooler line:

Transmission cooler bracket:

power steering hose nipple:

Oil pan and timing belt cover bolts

Whatever hell this part is (power steering again I think, haven't traced it yet)

They made the body good, but cheaped out on all the other parts. Right now, I can still take them off and treat them if I want to and they'll probably stay serviceable, but if I wait much longer I'll have to replace them, like the cover.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:16 PM

Here's what the valve body looks like if anyone's interested.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:45 PM

Good lord....are you on new England? I have some rust, but nothing like that.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
Good lord....are you on new England? I have some rust, but nothing like that.
Yup. Right in the middle, solidly in the salt belt. I didn't have a long time to check the car out, and the body looked great.

I've sand blasted and repainted the ATF cooler line, it's banjo bolt, and the ATF dip stick bracket. The rest still need to be done.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by quadcam
Re the filter, I asked my servicing dealer about it when the fluid was due to be changed at a service and they initially said there wasn't one. However, they checked up and subsequently said there is one but they said they had never changed one. They said they could get one so I intend to get one for the next time the trans fluid is due.
Don't bother. I looked into it and you can't get to it without taking the whole transmission apart. See here: https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...ocation-51246/

I got one and am going to try to return it.

Quick Reply: Anyone change the transmission valve body cover?