Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in?

2001 mitsubishi mirage vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Default 2001 mitsubishi mirage vibration

i have a 2001 mirage 1.8l 4-door auto 120k. i bought it about 2 yrs ago and it had a vibration (and possibly a noise but i can't remember) @ about 80 mph. over time (1/2-1 yr) the vibration was starting sooner and sooner. now @ about 60-70 mph it starts. it intensifies greatly when i let off the gas (no brakes just coasting). on top of that there is an annoying noise whenever i hit bumps at any speed(1-70mph). it is a low pitch bumping/rattling sound. so whenever i let off the gas and the vibration starts it will cause the bumping sound to start. also when im on the hwy(60-70mph) and i get on and off of bridges the car seems unstable (hard to explain). there are bumps at both ends of the bridges, when my car goes up on the bump it's ok but when it comes off it's like it lands i little to the side, i don't know how to explain it. upon inspection (im not a mechanic) if i jack up the car (wheels srtaight) grab the wheels in the 12-6 o'clock possition there is no play, but in the 9-3 o'clock there is about a quarter inch play. this is exactly the same on both sides. on the driver side the outer tie rod end boot is torn but not the passenger side. i can feel no play at either tie rod end but one boot is ripped. while car was jacked up we cranked the car and ran it about 70mph, the vibration was present but not the noise. at the same time i was waching both half shafts and didnt notice any wobble.

shortly after i bought the car i had the tires balanced, it made very little difference. about 6 months ago i went to discount tire and got all new tires and balance with very little change in vibration once again. if it helps i know the previous owner lived down a bumpy dirt road.

should i replace both tie rod ends or just the torn one?
should there be a small amount of play in the wheel at the 9-3 o'clock?
what else should i check?
where can i find a service manual for this car?
thank yall very much

Old 10-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

the tie rod ends would cause the bumping sound, but not the vibration on the highway. I currently have the same problem with my saturn and i believe ive narrowed it down to a couple things. this may be the same case for you. For me it is either a bad cv joint, or my warped rotors. I know my rotors are warped because i can slightly feel them pulse when i am comming to a stop. And severely warped rotors will cause vibration at high speeds because they are constantly making contact with the pads as well as being unbalanced.