Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in?

Front strut bar installed for 2018 Outlander PHEV

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 04:15 PM
Default Front strut bar installed for 2018 Outlander PHEV

I just installed this front strut bar for my 2018 Outlander PHEV. The space is tight but managed to get it fitted by moving the cable at the passenger side to give room to the anchor plate. It cost me $105 shipped from Aliexpress, China.

Attached Thumbnails Front strut bar installed for 2018 Outlander PHEV-htb19z75coo09kjjszfdq6z9npxaz.jpg   Front strut bar installed for 2018 Outlander PHEV-img_0256.jpg   Front strut bar installed for 2018 Outlander PHEV-img_0257.jpg  
Old 05-07-2019, 12:47 PM
Default Wow nice!

Can you please send me the link??

Thanks!
-Outlandish14

Old 05-07-2019, 02:18 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by Outlandish14
Can you please send me the link??

Thanks!
-Outlandish14
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/susp...5b4f4c4dMOkbqo

Old 05-07-2019, 02:22 PM
Default Thank you

Thank you Yardbird!

Old 08-30-2019, 02:50 PM

@yardbird Hi, I would like to know if you removed the original under the visible black suspension plate originally under the bolts. Thank you in advance.

Old 08-30-2019, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Parker Bol
@yardbird Hi, I would like to know if you removed the original under the visible black suspension plate originally under the bolts. Thank you in advance.
Yes, the black plate needs to go or it won't fit. The strut bar has its own plate (blue).

Old 05-12-2020, 09:05 PM
Default strut bar

have you noticed any difference since installing the bar?

Old 05-12-2020, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Tatchell
have you noticed any difference since installing the bar?
It feel more solid when turning.

Old 09-03-2022, 12:17 PM
Default Thank you Yardbird

Thank you Yardbird. I took your advice and ordered the exact same Outlander strut brace direct from TTCR in China.

The difference is incredible. The steering now has some feel and actual feedback. Speed bumps, broken tarmac, pot holes, damaged roads and surface changes no longer upset the vehicle steering and suspension composure.

Cornering also feels more assured although my Outlander is also fitted with Eibach 20mm Pro-spacers front and rear spacers which adds the much needed additional track width. Mitsubishi fitted these to the Outlander Concept-S show car in 2014.

Fitting the strut brace was straight forward enough. The two factory top mount brackets need to be removed as Yardbird described and discarded and the strut brace had to be dismantled and the bar reversed to fit the blue mounting brackets if you want the writing facing forward.

We also had to re-route a wiring/hose over the strut brace once in place and unhook it from a small metal bracket. We then bent the bracket out of the way to stop it from contacting the strut brace.

The strut brace fits beautifully under the electric motor unit silver cover on the left side of the engine compartment. We unbolted the plastic cover and correspondimg metal cover plate below it and once strut in we bolted the covers back into place.

Also looks great in blue and chrome colours when you open the bonnet/hood.

Very happy with the results. A relatively inexpensive easy hidden modification that actually makes a difference.

All I need now is some gas lift hood struts to hold the heavy bonnet open instead of the flimsy factory stick rod. What were Mitsubishi thinking? Penny pinching nonsense by the bean counters no doubt. Thankfully the tailgate has them.

N.B. For safety always use approved regulation rubber electrical gloves when handling EV components and associated parts. Try not to touch or disturb any of the orange colour high voltage cables.

TTCR strut brace fitted to 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV.

Old 09-04-2022, 04:14 PM

Quick Reply: Front strut bar installed for 2018 Outlander PHEV