2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

HELP cars blowin

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 01:39 PM
Default HELP cars blowin

I have a 97 spyder gst.. had it 3 weeks... just got it back from the shop for a new clutch n flywheel. I wasnt boostin right but found out the IC tube was off. Then yesterday I took it to the beach, 5mins into the trip I saw excessively high oil pressure. So I went home n did a oil change. Now on startup the oil pressure is LOW like on the 1/8 on the gauge be is at 1/2 when driving. I think I may have jacked somethin up because this morning I was starting the car let it warm up and tapped the gas a lil and blue smoke came out. Whats wrong?!

Old 04-09-2006, 12:56 AM
Default RE: HELP cars blowin

... that could be many things, I dont think that the oil press problem is related to the smoke. The smoke can be leeky rings/valve seals/ turbo seals. Best thing to do is an inspection, take off your ic pipe and check for shaft play for excessive oil in the pipes. Then do a compression test and ref. your numbers with your haynes manual that you baught before you even touched anything under the hood. The oil press problem could be from the oil being thinned due to excessive heat from boosting... when oil reaches high miles it starts to break down and thin out. The high pressure could be from the oil pump not having to work as hard to push the oil to the head thus causing a rise in the oil press. Then the drop could be because of the hevier oil in the motor and taking more work to move the oil.

Old 04-09-2006, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: HELP cars blowin

Also you might want to think about doing an oil flush next oil change. Does the blue smoke happen continuously while driving or does it only happen for the first couple of minutes after starting then stop? The oil flush you'll be adding an engine flush type fluid to the oil run for 5 minutes. It's basically a kerosene/detergent mixture that will break down the oil as well as deposits and clean EVERYTHING quite well (Actually fixed a friends ticking by doing this a lifter was sticking slightly and it cleaned the gunk out). If the smoking is only for a few minutes when first starting the car and then it stops then I'd say probably bad valve seals.