2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 06:17 PM
Default Problem

Motor- 4G63-T w/ manual trans.........Okay, so I was going to see my girlfriend yesterday when I heard an odd noise. I didn't think anything of it but then I heard a kind of large clunk and I knew exactly what it was. My belts had slipped off there pulleys some how and I really can't explain how it happened. So anyways, as I was driving, all my dummy lights came on and stuff but the car was still running. I had lost my power steering of course being that the belt came off and I had to muscle the car to the side of the road. I loosened the alternator and put the belts back on. I was all happy and stuff until I got in to the cab and turned the key. Nothing. I sighed, popped the hood again and was looking around and checked the ignition fuse. Blown. So I was like no big deal, I will go to Napa tomorrow and get one thinking that it had just blown for some retarded reason. Get a new fuse, put it in. Nothing. Now I talked to my local mechanic and he asked whether anything had frayed or anything but I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary and I went around that whole side of the car with my snake light. He said, "Well, it sounds like your starter is still engaged. What I want you to do is put it in gear and try and get that starter where it needs to be because it's overloading that fuse." I am not really sure on anything electrical. Anyone's help would be appreciated.

Old 05-22-2006, 08:48 PM
Banned
Default RE: Problem

bad solenoid?

Old 05-23-2006, 12:21 PM

I got it started. One of the wires was frayed on the tachometer interface and I had it put a new connector on it. As far as the belt coming off I believe it's because the harmonic balancer is in two pieces at the moment. Has that ever happened to anyone? It's the pulley that is on the very bottom of the motor and is connected to the crank. On Chevys that is the harmonic balancer but I wasn't sure if this was one or not. I would take a picture, but I can't seem to find my camera. Are the motors hard to time? I haven't done timing on this type of car before. When I got it started, the motor was shaking really bad but I didn't hear any pinging noises so I don't think I have a bent valve or anything. Again, let me know what you guys think.

Old 05-23-2006, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Harmonic balancers are more for V8's. I believe the 4 cylinders have different methods. I know a few that use balance shafts. I'd need to see pics to know what you're talking about.

Old 05-23-2006, 08:47 PM

Found my camera....believe it is actually called a damper pulley...

[IMG]local://upfiles/7429/75464F83A25F49BE95FF860067943061.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-23-2006, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah that's what I think it's called. A harmonic balancer is installed on V8's and require a puller to remove...

Old 05-24-2006, 01:18 AM

Yeah, I ordered the part from Napa, they get it in the morning, hopefully it will stop raining long enough for me get what I need to get done. It also requires a puller unless you know of some other way. I was also looking the repair manual, do I really need to remove the engine mount or can I just remove the driver's side tire and get it out that way?

Old 05-24-2006, 06:58 PM

no, just take the tire off and there are 4 bolts and just pull it off. it happened to me on my 90 gs and it took like 25 minutes.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:58 PM

See, I would do that, but there are other things that factor in besides those four bolts. Don't I have to take off the retainer that holds the pulley on the crankshaft. Also, when I went to take off those four bolts in my first attempt all that happened was the pulley started turning and engaging the crank. Is there a way to stop this from happening? I don't really want to lodge anything in there and mess anything up. I appreciate all the help though.

Old 05-24-2006, 10:17 PM

put a socket on the center nut and pull them twards each other and they should come loose