3rd Generation This includes all Eclipses built from 2000-2005

clutch assist? Shift assist

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Default clutch assist? Shift assist

Hey All,

Sorry I'm such a noob, but I've driven 5-spd manuals since I was a teenager. I just bought an 03 eclipse gts and it seems to have some kind of weird clutch assist or shift assist. Is there any way to disable that and get it to act more like a normal clutch?

I've been searching on the internet and I haven't even seen this topic mentioned. Maybe I'm calling it the wrong thing?

Any help is much appreciated.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:15 PM

So in doing some more research I guess this has to do with it being a hydraulic clutch. My understanding is that the shifting is more smooth with the hydraulic clutch and that might be what I'm experiencing. To better describe the problem...

1. I put the car in first gear with the clutch pressed all the way in, and no gas.
2. I slowely release the clutch and press the gas. The car does not move
3. The clutch is eventually completely released and the car starts to move.
This is causing me to rev the engine a lot when shifting up the gears...

In my experience cars start moving at about 70% clutch 30% gas and accellerate as clutch goes lower and gas higher. This car seems to start moving at 0% and N/A%.

I know this is a long stupid post, but I can't find a good explanation or anyone else even talking about this online. Long story short, is this normal for a hydraulic clutch? Is it possible that my clutch just needs replacing?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies/advice...

Old 02-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Default Hydraulic clutch concept

I just bought my first Eclipse yesterday and I do see it has a hydraulic clutch. I don't know anything about Eclipse's so I can't answer questions like an experienced Eclipse owner would. However I can tell you that on my car the clutch works like any other clutch would and I've driven other vehicles with hydraulic clutches and those clutches all worked pretty much like you'd expect them to. This thing you've got with a "lapse" in between when you let up the clutch and the clutch engages is not normal. But the good news is that if you know how any hydraulic braking works then you understand how the hydraulic clutch system works. A master cylinder pushes the fluid, the fluid goes through a tube and pushes a slave cylinder at the other side. The slave cylinder disengages the clutch by pushing a lever. After you let your foot up everything goes back to the original position and the fluid flows backwards a little. In yours it sounds like the the fluid in constricted in some way and can't flow back a little as it should. Either the master or slave cylinder is getting stuck or the tube is constricted in some way (sludge?). Sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck!

Old 03-16-2011, 08:09 PM

bleed the clutch hydraulic cylinder and other then that i dont know anything else it could b my clutch is very responsive i just installed a new one in my 3G 02 eclipse gt and i have to get it up to like 2 grand to start and not stall