Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

2006 Galant Dashboard Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Default 2006 Galant Dashboard Rattle

Hi. I recently purchased a used 2006 Galant LS. The car had some problems which the dealer was able to take care of except for one. There is a rattle coming from the passenger side dashboard area. It sounds like it is coming from the top portion of the dashboard near the windshield but I am not sure. This noise only happens when there is a sudden change of motion such as heavy accelerating or stopping. If I stop or accelerate gently then the noise isn’t there most of the time although it sometimes occurs then as well. This noise sounds like a single rattle (kind of like something snapping or being being hit). The best imitation of this noise is when you take an empty closed water bottle and push the plastic wall towards the center of the bottle. It is not a constant rattle. It also sometimes happens when turning hard in a different direction. The type of road that I am driving on does not have any significant bearing on this noise as it is heard on perfectly smooth roads as well. The glove box was already changed although the locking mechanism was not. I have ruled out any glove box contents as the cause. I have been trying to pin point the exact source of the noise but I have been unable to do so. I have taken the car to two dealers but both said that they did not hear it. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can find the cause of this noise and fix it?