Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Just purchased 03 Monty Sport Limited that sat for 2 years. What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 02:34 AM
Default Just purchased 03 Monty Sport Limited that sat for 2 years. What would you do?

Hi everyone, I'm excited to join y'all here. Have always loved the Montero Sport's look and finally have one of my own. I got a good deal on a 2003 Montero Sport Limited with 84,000 miles, but the poor girl sat for 2 years and was only driven about a thousand miles.

What would you all recommend I check and/or replace to get her running great and prevent future issues?

I know of two issues before I take it in to my mechanic. The power cuts for a half second fairly often. And there is what I think is shudder from the suspension? The shudder happens more when I am slowly climbing a hill. Anyone experienced these?

I'm not sure if the timing belt got done by the previous owner. Is there a way to tell if the belt is new?

Thanks, looking forward to contributing where I can.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:54 AM

Sitting for 2 years can be an issue sometimes. Critters like to make their home in the the engine compartment. I would look closely at all the exposed wiring. They like to chew on the insulation. I remember buying a Grand Cherokee that sat for one year. The little buggers actually chewed a hole thru one of the aluminum AC lines - lost all Freon and they ate thru the injector wiring.

As far as the timing belt, if you don't have verifiable proof it was done by the PO, go ahead and get it done. You can't tell by looking at the timing belt. One thing you could try is go to Mitsubishi and give them your VIN and see if they have any maintenance done by the dealer that would indicate the timing belt has been changed.

Replace all fluids - transfer case, both differentials - transmission - crankcase and have the brake fluid purged and filled - it is hydroscopic and takes on water over time. Check brakes and shocks for any signs of leaking and go ahead and get a tune up done. The miss could be attributed to the ignition components.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:20 AM

I absolutely agree on the fluid changes and timing belt advice above.

When I get an older vehicle, I usually do several things, a lot of which do not require much technical expertise, just basic cleaning, elbow grease and time. I marked the easiest ones with an asterisk:

I change the fuel filter.
I change the air filter.*
I clean the throttle body and idle control passages.
I clean the battery terminals.*
I clean the PCV valve.*
I clean the EGR valve and passages.
I open and close any electrical connector I can find (unless it is stubborn and likely to break).
I clean electrical grounds, and any negative side connector I can find, especially looking for battery to body grounds, battery to engine grounds, engine to body grounds and coil grounds.
I replace valve cover gaskets, and clean out any crud in the valve area.
I replace spark plugs and wires.
I replace the timing belt, tensioner, pulleys, water pump, cam seals and crank seal.
If I touch a bolt, it comes off, and gets wire brushed, lubed and put back on.
I lube the brake caliper slides.