Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

ok, you would think I would know this by now, 6 bolt build

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Default ok, you would think I would know this by now, 6 bolt build

hey guys, I bought another 6 bolt for my galant vr4. anyways, I bought it and it was already torn down, Head and block were apart, no IM or EM and No Turbo, 300 bucks, not bad, It was a JDM motor, well my friends brother who owns a dsm shop, is the one who tore it down, Cylinder 1 has 30% leakage through the valves and the other three 10% Compression is as follows 1)135 2) 155 3) 155 4) 165. and he said the block was good, didnt have any unusual ware. So I am in the process of rebuilding it for 400 hp, reliable ahaha, So what do you all think I should do to make this a nice fast car? I know for sure I am replacing the cams , injectors, cam gears maybe, and a Evo III 16g. with my High Flow GT Exhaust Mani. Rebuild with new gaskets and seals, and remove the BS. so what else?? Thanks
-Shane AKA Bruno (you would Think I would know considering it is my 3rd 4g63T) ahahaha

Old 12-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Default RE: ok, you would think I would know this by now, 6 bolt build

bump.........

Old 12-04-2008, 12:05 AM

Don't go overboard with that whole "JDM" thing. It's just a tag unless you have the cyclone intake on it and working
If you want 400whp, you may want to consider building the block, if at the crank is ok with you, then a stock rebuild is fine. However, I would suggest getting ARP head studs and 4 layer gasket. Get the head rebuilt to stock specs, but get 3rd generation lifters. The rest is common sense stuff and don't really need to be upgraded. Cams...not necessary...actually none of those other "go fast" mods are necessary. A good fuel management tool is. A good tune can net you just as much as some of those go fast mods. Your choice though, but the rebuild is a good place to start. Start from step one. That's a good suggestion since your motor will be freshly rebuilt and you probably won't break it in like I would. Fuel mods, turbo, intake, exhaust, and fuel management can give you what you're looking for if you want a DD. If you want a purpose built car, then add the cams, pistons, rods, crank, lifters, pins, springs, large injectors, high flow fuel pump, high flow fuel filter, larger fuel lines, AFPR, speed density, large turbo, exhaust, intake, and fuel management (ECMLink [formerly known as DSMLink] or AEM, don't bother with an AFC) are all that come to mind at the moment.
Check out the FAQ page here about the E316G and fuel support. 660 CC injectors, EVO fuel pump or larger (skip the 190lph). Don't skimp if you want 400hp with reliability and daily driven. There are plenty of 400hp DSMs out there driven daily and are reliable. Just be smart.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:14 AM

the dude that I bought the motor from had a Cyclone with it but wanted an extra 50$ which I didnt have....... I am going to be using my GT High Flow Exhaust Mani, Buying a new turbo, I have an Evo IX Pump, MBC and AFC but will be buying link......... So stock motor I can make that much power with BPU?

Old 12-04-2008, 01:04 AM

Wait, are you doing a full motor swap or just a 6 bolt block swap? I've read from just about every DSM site that the stock 6 bolt block can handle 450chp, add in a good tune and you'll be good. 400chp is more reasonable and safer though. There are plenty of folks on a E316G with 350+whp on their stock motor. That's not that far from 400chp. That's why I suggest getting the ARP head studs and 4 layer gasket (of aftermarket strength). That amount of pressure needs to be kept sealed.
Let me buy that Cyclone for $50+ shipping. DSMLink can handle the solenoids/valves.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:48 AM

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

Wait, are you doing a full motor swap or just a 6 bolt block swap? I've read from just about every DSM site that the stock 6 bolt block can handle 450chp, add in a good tune and you'll be good. 400chp is more reasonable and safer though. There are plenty of folks on a E316G with 350+whp on their stock motor. That's not that far from 400chp. That's why I suggest getting the ARP head studs and 4 layer gasket (of aftermarket strength). That amount of pressure needs to be kept sealed.
Let me buy that Cyclone for $50+ shipping. DSMLink can handle the solenoids/valves.

lol I can give you the number to the guy if you want it? aha, he lives an hour away, hes cool though, Uhm I have a stock 6 bolt in my Galant vr-4, its going out, so I bought a second to rebuild and drop in. so I would have a fresh motor. ahaha The car is way heavier than the Eclipse GSX so Im guessing a 350 awhp galant is only going to run about mid to high 13's???

Old 12-04-2008, 08:50 AM

the dudes name is Jon....Call him and tell him you heard about his cyclone intake manifold from the guy who bought his motor.