Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Relay clicking caused by Mass Air Sensor??

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Unhappy Relay clicking caused by Mass Air Sensor??

Hi all, I am new here and am hoping someone out there has dealt with this problem before.

I have a 1990 Montero 3.0L that has a nasty click-clicking sound after starting. It is a relay on the right wall under the dash. Usually the engine dies three or four times, but after a few starts, the clicking will diminish and it will stay running. Once warmed up, it runs fine. The problem appeared after I stored the vehicle for four months last winter.

I took it in and had the computer codes read, and they got Mass air flow sensor and Air temperature sensor. So, i took the MAF sensor out today--see photos below. I bought some of that spray cleaner for MAF sensors but i'm not sure it's appropriate for this MAF. I mean, what to spray it on..? The air temp sensor is also in there somewhere (and maybe the barometric sensor).

The interior is lined with thin fibre-board, and in the middle are three metal slats (you can't tell there are three in the photo because they're lined up). On each side is a half-inch hole (blue arrow) covered with screen, which connects to covered +/- terminals (orange arrow) on either side. Very strange. On the bottom front is a ?diode (red arrow), and that's about all i can see.

Has anyone ever cleaned this type of MAF sensor? Or can it somehow be bypassed..? Problem is, it's necessary for cold-starting the vehicle. After i can get it warmed up, i can disconnect the MAF sensor (with engine off), and it starts and runs just fine--so long as it's hot. Any help would be appreciated.