Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mirage 97 - Window motor caused electrical fault/failure to start

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 06:16 AM
Default Mirage 97 - Window motor caused electrical fault/failure to start

Hi,

I had a bad window motor/regulator. The window could not go up or down - this made it impossible to disconnect the window from the track as it needs to be either fully up or down for access to the screws.

There was a switch in the window as well, which was connected to the tension of the window regulator cable. I guess this was there to stop the motor if the cable tension was too high. I disconnected the tension switch and pressed the window up button for 1 second. I was just looking for the motor to nudge the window a tiny bit higher so I could access the window screws. My thinking at the time was that it may damage the motor (which I was going to replace anyway) so it should be fine. Once I tried to raise the window (pressing for 1 second only) the radio stopped playing, and I started to get worried...

The car will no longer start. If I put the ignition to ON, lights on the dash come up fine - with no warnings, but when I turn the key for it to start- there is no noise or effort, it is not even trying to start. Sometimes (seemly randomly/mostly occurs when going from ignition ON to OFF) there is a switching noise (sounds like a relay), repeatedly going on-off for 5 seconds. This comes from the inside, above the drivers pedals.

I am suprised that the window motor could stop the car from starting (surely the window motors are fused?), but this seems to be the case.

Currently it looks like this is some form of electrical failure - most electrical things no longer work at all (wipers, other windows, radio, etc...).

I have tested the fuses and they are fine.

Any suggestions would be very welcome - I don't have access to a scan tool, but I may try to get a car electrics mechanic out to it during the week. The fact it cant start makes it more difficult to get to a garage!

Many thanks in advance

Old 10-03-2010, 09:38 PM

I dont recall their being a switch connected to the regulator. weird?

Old 10-04-2010, 05:17 AM

the part # of it is MR287427. It's listed as a: SWITCH,FR DOOR WINDOW REGULATOR POSITION CHECK,LH

really shouldn't have been able to cause this type of electrical fault... think I'll just have to send it off to a garage...