Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Shopping around for a mitsubishi montero

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by zoom33
At what mileage did you have this issue at as I am curious now and what are the signs?
At about 168,000 or so. The truck did sit for 3 years from 2001-2004, but the problem started in 2009. I got to get it fixed soon, it runs good but smokes at start up because of the oil in chamber.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:15 PM

I have an '03 Limited that I have owned since new, currently with 70k miles. The problems so far have been minor:

- "check engine" light that required replacement of the O2 sensor under warranty
- a weird vibration from the rubber trim on the windshield (only on hot days) when running above 70 mph; fixed with some silicon adhesive
- a split in the vinyl part of the driver's seat due to wear
- fading and bubbling of the clearcoat on the spare tire cover, replaced under warranty
- power antenna finally died (mechanism wore out, working on fixing now)

It's on the third set of brake pads, and other than that, all I have done is changed the oil (Mobil 1 every 10k) and tranny fluid.

The gas mileage is truly horrendous (at least in California), 13 in town and maybe a best of 18-19 on the highway. These are big, heavy beasts and take a lot of gas to get moving.

As you are looking, be sure to find a truck with the 5 speed auto; this was standard on the Limited, I think optional on the others. The engine is otherwise a little small for such a heavy vehicle.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:37 PM
Cool Montero Gas Mileage Vs Performance

I just bought an 02 Sport w/ 3.0 2wd and because of the low HP the acceleration lacks and I try and compensate by giving it more gas. Hince poor gas mileage around town and in heavy traffic. But over all down the road on the hwy it does pretty good. Probably somewhere in the low twenties with no load. Not bad for an SUV with the cargo space it provides. I would never try and pull anything with it it just doesn't have the guts.

I am looking for anyone that has had any success in upgrading performance such as removing the metered mass airflow sensor and replacing with open source filters and getting rid of the air box. Anyone??

Old 06-26-2010, 02:34 PM
Default Sunroof & Sundry

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how to go about removing the interior sun shade for a 97 Monty Sport LS so I can re-cover it? Padding upholstery and adhesive aren't a problem; I found that. I just can't find how to remove the interior collapseable sun shade from the sunroof in any of the service manuals I've looked at.

I think I may be stuck with removing only the interior roof paneling then unhitching the interior sunroof panel, reupholstering or replacing it, and then reattaching the roof interior. If there's an easier way to do it, though, I'd like to know if anyone knows one.

Attached Thumbnails Shopping around for a mitsubishi montero-2010-06-26-14.26.08.jpg  
Old 11-28-2014, 04:02 PM

rdmckann, I'm having the opposite problem. I got the sunshade out with little problem, but can't find where to buy the replacement upholstery. I'm tempted to just glue/tape the old stuff back on. Where did you order the replacement upholstery and glue? Were there instructions? Was it difficult?

Old 12-08-2014, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by zoom33
At what mileage did you have this issue at as I am curious now and what are the signs?
Mine is a 95' SR and has 128k miles and had the worn valve seals. Mine wouldnt smoke when first started but when id pick up my kids from school id sit and wait at idle for around 10 minutes and when id drive off I destroyed alot of lungs unfortunately and smoked out the school. I was getting around 15mpg but now im up to 18mpg. Fixed this myself to save money as the shop wanted 1100 jus for labor not including parts.Anyways good luck on your purchase hope you find what your lookin for.