Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2011 ES OEM/Aftermarket Frontend Upgrades (DRL, HID, Fog, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 05:20 PM
Question 2011 ES OEM/Aftermarket Frontend Upgrades (DRL, HID, Fog, etc)

Hey guys, new owner of a 2011 ES Outlander and starting to order upgrades for the vehicle but had a few questions I wanted to run by some of you guys before doing so. I got a crazy good deal on this vehicle so instead of buying something with all the bells and whistles I decided to go with this one and buy aftermarket parts or upgrade with OEM where possible.

Here's some pictures of her:
http://goo.gl/gCZbsN

What would ideally be a perfect solution for what I want would be switching out the frontend bumper with one of the newer models that looks a little more aggressive, but that may be an expensive option compared to upgrading headlights, adding fog lights and a few other minor upgrades to make the frontend look slick.

I checked and my 2011 has the standard headlamps which is a separate low-beam and high-beam as you can see below:

I was going to try and order a kit to upgrade the stock headlights to HID and DRL to 6k phillips bulbs here:
http://amzn.com/B00H8ZX7K0

Which I found from another thread:
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...t-44563/page5/

But my concern is that "technically" my model doesn't have DRL, it's just the stock headlights that are on during the day.

Is this still possible? Don't have much experience with HIDs (had company vehicle for past 5+ years) but working on a car is no problem for me as I was a DSM eclipse and talon owner before I got my company vehicle.

Would I need to buy an entirely new headlamp assembly or would the stock housing work?

Thanks guys and look forward to sharing my experiences on the forum here!

Old 10-22-2014, 10:55 AM

DRL mode on halogen versions uses "reduced power" PWM on low beams.

Direct HID installation will make them flicker. DRL mode should be changed in ETACS settings from reduced power to full power or off. Another option is to use flicker cancellation harness.

Please note that having DRL off is illegal in most places as well as installing crappy Chinese HIDs in reflector housings. Not sure if it is being enforced in FL though.