Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2016 GX Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 10:38 PM
Default 2016 GX Windshield

Anyone needed one of these in Canada?

I went to Mitsu motors today to get a windshield and was told they do not sell them as a part to customers, just to after market glass replacement shops.
I asked how much and got quoted $1540.00
The glass shop I went to said Mitsu quoted them $1813.00 (from a different stealer)
This windshield has the electric heater for wipers, and rain sensing.

I got it replaced after market for $275.00 however the heating element is not offered by anyone but Mitsu at this point, and rain sensing is included.

Outrageous pricing by the OEM.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:11 AM

I'm curious why you needed one?

Old 05-27-2016, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Silent Seed
I'm curious why you needed one?
On Highway 2 in Alberta I picked a rock from another vehicle and it broke the window.
After parked in the daytime for a few hours the crack spread across the window.
Hence, new window needed.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:39 PM

I don't know what insurance companies are like in Canada - but here, in the US, that would have been replaced free of charge, by the insurance company.
It totally sucks that yours doesn't offer that.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:52 PM

Insurance is available, I have had it on a number of vehicles, including some pricey Euros.
The thing is, $250.00/year with a $300.00 deductible makes no sense to me for buying that insurance.If I paid that and replaced more than 2 windshields in 3 years the insurance would cancel that rider. So then I would still be buying a non OEM. Buying insurance would be like paying roughly for 2 aftermarket windshields every year.

I'll wait until the aftermarket has the heating feature and by then this one will likely be broken from rocks on the highways here as well. This is a large problem for Alberta motorists.

Also, the OEM windshield is really fragile IMO. The rock that hit it was not large by any means, the crack really propagated in 70 deg F weather, and when I attempted to stay the spread using a glass cutter, each time I simply touched the window the crack moved. I have never seen a window this fragile.
Not much point in putting these windows in no matter who is paying.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:59 PM

Are you saying that $250 / year is for the glass only, or for the whole plan?
If it's for the glass only, then OUCH! I would agree with you on that one - although it sounds like a poor design for the OEM windshield - That just reminded me, a rock hit mine (2013) a few weeks ago - a big chip - but it has not started to crack - knock on wood.
If you can get one for $275, then that's better than just paying the $300 deductible - which as you say, makes no sense. They love taking our money, that's for sure!

Old 05-27-2016, 06:04 PM

Yes, you read it correctly.
I believe the rates are set like this to discourage people from buying glass coverage here due to the massive amount of windshield changes every year.
The roads are disgustingly dirty with rocks mostly from people with ****ty tires that pick up rocks around town and then spit out on the highway at speed, and all the rural people who drive on gravel roads and lose rocks when they hit the pavement.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:39 AM

Over here in New Zealand we pay about an extra $20 a year additional to the premiums on the vehicle to have glass buy out and if you break your windscreen, or any other glass in the car, it gets replaced for free with no excess required.

Last edited by HuggyNZ; 05-28-2016 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:14 PM

Depends on where you live in the united states. Here in PA, the same insurance company there isn't even an option for windshield coverage, it's simply just included. But when my brother moved to colorado(we had the same insurance agent), with the same insurance company he was quoted at over $200 more per year. But all his new coworkers said to get it because the amount of chipped windshields out there is simply mind boggling. I guess it's something about the rocks out there or something, they all end up on the road and onto your car. Sure enough, 8 months later, he needed a new windshield.

An aftermarket windshield maybe harder to chip anyways. I know many of the new car companies are switching to acoustic glass, it's possible those are easier to chip??