Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Active Stability Control (ASC)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Default Active Stability Control (ASC)

Hey Guys,

I got a 2009 Outlander ES (Cdn Model) V6 - 4WD

I have a question about the Active Stability Control system. There is an 'on/off' button on the left side of the drivers area (under the cup holder) and I was wondering what exactly is suppose to happen when that is pressed. I know there is a light in the dash, but whenever that is pressed nothing happens at all. Nothing is lit up on the dash, nor does anything happen on the display unit.

Is there something broke in mine??

Thanks

Old 08-18-2009, 04:38 PM

Just push the ASC for 10 seconds

Old 08-18-2009, 05:52 PM

By default the ASC is on. When you hold it down, it will turn off and a light on the dash will come on. After you turn the car off and then back on, it will back on by default.

The only time I would think you would need to turn it off is if you are stuck in snow/mud, and trying to rock yourself out.

"ASC helps to prevent side slipping (spin and side drift) as a result of sudden steering wheel operation or on slippery roads. Overall vehicle stability is enhanced in all driving conditions, lending an extra measure of confidence in wet or snowy weather.

In FWD Outlander models – and under all driving modes in 4WD models – ASC helps keep the vehicle traveling in the driver’s intended direction. The ASC system takes data input from a number of sensors, including steering angle, individual wheel speed and yaw, as well as from the powertrain electronic control unit (ECU).

When it detects side-slipping or wheel spin, ASC provides integrated control of brakes, engine torque (via the electronic throttle control), transmission and electronically controlled 4WD to improve vehicle stability. The high-speed CAN bus facilitates communication between the engine, transmission and 4WD system.

The traction control portion of ASC provides a “virtual” limited-slip differential effect by helping to prevent wheel spin during start up and acceleration in slippery conditions. Even if the driver has not selected 4WD Auto or 4WD Lock modes on a 4WD Outlander model, front wheel spin can be controlled under a variety of conditions. Since a mechanical limited-slip differential is not required, weight is reduced.

Whenever ASC intervenes, a warning light flashes in the liquid crystal display inside the instrument panel, signaling the driver that the system is operating and that the vehicle has reached a driving limit. An ASC OFF switch allows the driver

to disengage the system. Instances where that could be useful include driving the vehicle through deep snow, or out of a snowed-in parking space. In such situations, traction control could be a hindrance. The electronically controlled 4WD

system does not rely on traction control to distribute power; power distribution is controlled through the electronically controlled viscous coupling, with ASC influencing that as needed."

Attached Thumbnails Active Stability Control (ASC)-out.jpg  
Old 08-18-2009, 08:21 PM

thanks guys!

Old 03-02-2012, 03:54 PM

Hello!
I have an Outlander 2.4 4WD years 2010 and model 2011 and does not have ASC.
I try to enable the ASC module.
The parts of the models after 2010 and that have the 4WD system are the same parts of the cars that have ASC.
Can I enable the ASC's my car?
I appreciate everyone's help.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:45 AM
Default Traction Control

Hi there i am looking at purchasing a 2005 G spec japanese model outlander it has ASC. Can some one tell me is Traction control built in with the ASC function. Thanks