Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Economy not good!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 06:11 PM
Default Economy not good!

I've just purchased a 1 year old Outlander GX3 2.2 diesel (new facelift model) from a dealer here in the UK. The salesman assured me I'd get 55 mpg. I told him I'd be quite happy with 45 or even 40! Round town I'm getting late 20's mpg and I've just taken it on a 300 mile long trip with cruise set to 70mph, night time driving, no harsh acceleration really driving carefully and it has returned 32.8 mpg. I'm really not impressed, since I parted with my 2009 Ford Galaxy 2L TDi (36-40mpg) thinking the Outlander would be more economical.

Other than that I absolutely love the vehicle.

Is mine typical? or have I bought a lemon?

Thanks

Old 01-21-2017, 03:47 PM

Is the car an auto or manual? Have you set it to 2 wheel drive or are you running in 4x4 mode?

Ours is a 2011 model GX4 2.2 diesel and I keep it in 2 wheel drive mode for the road and have an average of over 36mpg for day to day use with mostly local driving from cold. On a run it gets 40mpg with a best of 45 mpg.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:12 AM

Hi,
thanks for your reply. Mine is an auto and I have so far kept it in 4WD Eco the whole time so it stays in 2 wheel drive until it senses that a wheel is slipping then automatically sends power to the rear, so basically it is in its most economic state. I drove from St.Albans into the west end yesterday and by the time I got the end of the M1 it was reading 36 mpg and by the time I got to Park lane it was 30. Coming home in the evening I got through London and to the M1 and it was reading 26, then by the time I got home after the M1 stretch it was on 34. I would love 45mpg but I feel there is no way I could possibly achieve that.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:10 PM

I know an auto box can kill fuel economy in all but the newest versions with 7 or more gears. I dont think Mitsubishi are there yet compared to BMW or Mercedes. The outlander is a big heavy car so for me getting over 32mpg average (our last cars average) was a bonus. On a run the Seat we had would never see 40mpg and that was just the Freetrack which is basically a 4x4 170bhp version of the Altea. That was a manual box too. I would say in the past we have had good results with one of the tuning boxes and gained not only more power but it did give better economy too. I am looking at getting one for this one soon too.

I have spoken to these guys already as they were the ones I have used in the past and although they do not list one for the 2.2 engine they do supply one to fit it so give them a call and see if they can help with a bit of advice regarding economy gains.

MITSUBISHI 2.5 DI-D TUNINGBOX

Old 01-27-2017, 06:19 PM

Thank you. I'll have a look into it, as long as it doesn't mess with my warranty

Old 02-24-2017, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Shmelvis
Hi,
thanks for your reply. Mine is an auto and I have so far kept it in 4WD Eco the whole time so it stays in 2 wheel drive until it senses that a wheel is slipping then automatically sends power to the rear, so basically it is in its most economic state. I drove from St.Albans into the west end yesterday and by the time I got the end of the M1 it was reading 36 mpg and by the time I got to Park lane it was 30. Coming home in the evening I got through London and to the M1 and it was reading 26, then by the time I got home after the M1 stretch it was on 34. I would love 45mpg but I feel there is no way I could possibly achieve that.
any improvement with the fuel consumption? I was considering the same Outlander model but I'm a bit concerned that it's a struggle to get it even to 40.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Wlodar
any improvement with the fuel consumption? I was considering the same Outlander model but I'm a bit concerned that it's a struggle to get it even to 40.
Hi,

actually, mpg has increased slightly butnot by much. My wife drove it from St.Albans to Stratford Upon Avon at around a constant 70 and reported achieving 40mpg. I can get this number by driving 50-60 mph but that is at constant speed. Unfortunately, when you come off a motorway and start all the start/stop traffic you can watch the average fuel consumption figure drop pretty quickly!

All in all, I'm getting around 33-35 on average for all driving, which is not bad, just not as good as I was hoping. I'm taking it to Manchester and back on wednesday so that will be a really good test.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Shmelvis
Hi,

actually, mpg has increased slightly butnot by much. My wife drove it from St.Albans to Stratford Upon Avon at around a constant 70 and reported achieving 40mpg. I can get this number by driving 50-60 mph but that is at constant speed. Unfortunately, when you come off a motorway and start all the start/stop traffic you can watch the average fuel consumption figure drop pretty quickly!

All in all, I'm getting around 33-35 on average for all driving, which is not bad, just not as good as I was hoping. I'm taking it to Manchester and back on wednesday so that will be a really good test.
Yes, I guess around 35 on average is really not that bad for the size and weight of this car. It's just a bit off from what the manufacturer says it should be but as we know you can't really rely on that info for most of cars.
It also should get a bit better the more miles you do on a diesel car.
My regular journey is mainly M25+M4 usually in peak times so it could be hard to get that 40-45mpg based on what you say.
It's a tough one for me as the Outlander is one of a very few cars that I actually like but I'm also quite frugal so I need to be smart here.
Let me know what you got on your trip to Manchester.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:28 PM

We have a little petrol 1.25 litre Ford Fiesta at the moment as a little run around car while our Outlander is having some work done. The Ford is SLOW... Really slow. But at least is it comfortable and economical.... Wrong... Comfortable yes.. But it seems to average about 35mpg. That drops as soon as you look at a hill or have to pass anything moving faster than a lorry unless you have a run at it..

So yes we all would love to see more MPG but even a car sold as economical and doing over 54mpg as a combined MPG or 66mpg for its claimed extra urban figure.. 35+ from a big old bus that is the Outlander is not bad.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:32 AM
Default Manchester run

OK, Yesterday I drove the Outlander to Manchester with people up and I didn't exceed the speed limit at all. So 70 mph most of the way with about 30 miles of 50mph average speed camera areas. It just got to 45 mpg driving under these conditions. There was no harsh acceleration and I drove really carefully. Coming back it averaged out to 41 mpg. I'm actually quite pleased with that. Still not as good as a lot of people are saying but I'm happy with it.

Quick Reply: Economy not good!