Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Replace Shocks and Struts

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 07:46 PM
Arrow Replace Shocks and Struts

How do you know when it is time to replace your Shocks and Struts? Has anyone done this on their Outlander? If so which brand did you go with and how much did everything cost?(Parts & Labor?)

Old 05-12-2016, 02:55 PM

If you lift the boot up and see fluid leaking or the vehicle is noticeably bouncier than it used to be they're on their way out. They can last a LONG time even when failing. I ran a beater 93 Ford Explorer with shot rear shocks for over 10 years.

I've got a 2008 and I've only done the rear struts. I bought the OEM KYB's on Rockauto.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:37 PM

The ride quality of shocks/struts can degrade over time. So it's not a simple answer, if all you need is to pass inspection, they can go over 200k miles. As long as they're not leaking and the car doesn't bounce all over, then you're fine. When they degrade, the ride can seem harsher with large jolts and a more jittery ride. But for most people. with an older car, they don't seem to mind.

But i generally replace my shocks and struts at 100-150k miles because i like them to perform like they did from the factory.

I do it myself, it's easy. Once you remove the wheels, you place a spring clamp on the strut assembly, then for the front struts its only 3 bolts up top, 2 on the bottom and one on the endlink. The problem is, the way these endlink nuts are designed, they tend to get rusty and seize and you have to grind the nut off, which i had to do on my outlander. Then pull the strut assembly off the car and remove the top nut. Then slowly release the spring clamp until it's unsprung. Replace the strut and reassemble.

I haven't done the outlander, but i think the back has shocks. Which is usually just 1 bolt up top, and one on the bottom, don't even have to remove the wheels.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:11 PM

I believe certain outlander trims in the rear does not have a separate spring, more of a coil over the shock setup and would be a little more work to replace.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:04 PM

[QUOTE=SERPENTOR;315596]How do you know when it is time to replace your Shocks and Struts? Has anyone done this on their Outlander? If so which brand did you go with and how much did everything cost?(Parts & Labor?)[/QUOTE

I drive 18-wheeler. Its important to have good shocks on the truck, so that is the way i test them: in the morning, when everything still cold, i start driving, after about one or two miles I stop, touch shocks and feel if they are warmer then other metal parts on the truck. If they are warmer, they still doing its job, if not, time to replace them even they still looks OK(no leaks).

Old 06-06-2016, 02:46 PM

I did the rear shocks two years ago, when I noticed the passenger side leaking during a normal brake check/rotation. They were easy to do, if you don't mind disassembling the interior from the rear doors backward. They mount underneath all that trim and I couldn't find a pop up panel or anything to gain easier access. I believe I got some KYB's from shock warehouse. Also the original "boots" were nicer and mine were still in good shape