Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

How to lock smart-key in car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 01:31 AM
Default How to lock smart-key in car?

Got a 2012 Aus (Jap?) Outlander XLS, which has the "smart" key with standard "emergency" blade cached inside. It's handy to be able to walk up with the key in your pocket and unlock the door/tailgate whan you've got your hands full. Problem is I surf, and unless I can find a guaranteed waterproof pouch to store the key in my shorts/wetsuit, the smart section has to stay behind. I also don't like leaving stuff unguarded on the beach due to thieves.

Ideally I'd lock the smart section in the car, take the emergency blade in the surf, then afterwards unlock the driver's door with the blade, grab the smart section and off you go. Problem is it won't let me lock the car with the smart section inside, and also the blade only locks the driver's door, so everything else is left open if you don't lock it electronically.
Is there a way around this? NB: I don't have the MMCS, so no menu access to most ETACS settings as far as I am aware.

I have found one method that works but is a bit dodgy; while the car's unlocked, pop the bonnet, then lock the car using the smart key. Open the bonnet, place the smart section inside, and close; doors/tailgate don't resond to button presses to unlock (key must be shielded enough), and you can open the driver's side with the blade, pop the bonnet, and grab the smart section. The wife, however, is not very impressed with this method and won't let me take the Outlander until we figure out a "proper" way of getting around the issue

Old 03-09-2014, 12:45 PM

ahh. Technology. Makes life so much easier.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:41 PM

put the smart section in an EMF / Radio Frequency blocking bag. The car will not be able to read it and you will be able to lock it in. Click the door button lock and manually lock the driver door with the key

8"W x 16"L Medium Faraday EMP Bag | U.S. Plastic Corp.

Last edited by boogunoogun; 03-09-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:44 PM

Honestly, thanks for bringing this up. I started surfing this year and had this issue myself but never really started to think of a solution until you brought it up

Old 03-09-2014, 07:59 PM

Hmm, I have a bucketload of antistatic bags from various electronics orders (microcontollers, accelerometers...), according to the fountain of all knowledge (wiki) they are a faraday cage, so might have to test one out tonight. Otherwise it seems that it's cheaper to buy a waterproof pouch.
I did try something similar the other day, put it in the silver bag our replacement e-toll tag came in thinking it might work, but alas it didn't block the signal.

Which "door button lock" are you referring to in this case, the interior one or the button on the door handle? Doesn't the one on the handle require the fob to be near it to work?

Still learning a lot here, mostly through trial and error. A few minor annoyances caused by the tech being too smart for it's own good, eg. my wife put some shopping on the front passenger seat and then had the car beeping at her all the way home because her "passenger" had not put on their seatbelt... !

Old 03-09-2014, 08:58 PM

I meant the button on the interior door handle.

As for the bags, from what I've read, each bag is only good for certain frequencies.

I just do not know what frequency our fast keys use.

Keep us updated

Old 03-10-2014, 12:05 AM

It should be pretty easy.

Put key somewhere inside in normal detection range.
Put drivers window down before getting out of car.
Get out and shut door.
Reach in and lock doors with central locking master switch.
Reach in and turn Ignition On then Off to rearm window timer.
Flick driver's window auto-up switch and remove your arm.

However, if someone breaks in to the car they will be able to drive away as the keyless module is in the car. I don't know if the insurance company would be too pleased with that. It might be a good idea to also fit a hidden cutout switch so the engine can't be started.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:20 AM

Thanks quadcam, that seems to work; a bit surprised, as I've tried just about every combo I could think of and it didn't seem to allow locking while the smart section was inside.
To confirm, I tested all door locks and tailgate, and no buttons would unlock it, despite the smart section sitting on the driver's seat during the test. Spare blade opened fine.

As you say, it is still a bit of a conundrum RE: break-ins. That said, I'm almost always in well-trafficked car parks where you can't really get away with blatantly smashing a window.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:16 AM

Actually, thinking about it, locking with the internal door master switch would have to work otherwise there is no way to prevent being car-jacked.

The other thing I just thought of is that by locking that way the alarm would not be armed.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:05 PM

Ive succesfully just put the smart key portion in the glove box. From what I recall there is a sensor in the glove box that allows this. I dont remember if it was the upper or lower box.

Quick Reply: How to lock smart-key in car?