1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

1g help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 08:38 PM
Default 1g help please

I have a 94 Eclipse GS with a starting problem.

Here is what happens: The engine with rotate, but will not start. I did have it started and it ran fine. I drove it around the block. After five minutes around the block I turned left and it cut out halfway thru the corner. It stalled, and I coasted into the alley. I turned everything off, then back on and it started right back up. I shut it off and it wont start. Anyone with ideas? I did get it to start again and went to drive off, but it stalled immediately.

I took the top bolt off the fuel filter and gas poured out. But could it still be a clogged filter. The filter was replaced almost a month ago.

Well, hope to here from someone soon.

Old 07-30-2006, 12:00 AM
Default RE: 1g help please

you could have a rare case of walking crank in your 1g. but of course that is the worst case scenerio. have you tested your pump?

Old 07-30-2006, 12:50 AM

ORIGINAL: patsevo8

you could have a rare case of walking crank in your 1g.

I hope your not serious. First 7 bolts do crank walk so its not rare, second yes his 4g63 is a 7 bolt, they were made from 93-99. Third its a non turbo, and the chances of a non turbo 4g63's crank walking is very unlikley.

First check for spark, ground the bottom of the plug to something metal in the bay and have someone crank it. If your not getting any spark it could be either your crank position sensor, cam angel sensor or you throttle position sensor as those are common items on these cars to cause this problem. However if you are getting spark then it could be your fuel. Key up the motor and have someone lay under the tank of the car to see if they can hear the fuel pump prime. If thats the case then take out the plugs as if you were to do a compression test and crank her over 4-8 times and if you can smell gas then its deff not your injectors. And if you do smell gas and have spark then you have a serious problem.

Old 07-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Banned

Either something to do with ignition (plugs or wires) or the crank position sensor.

Old 07-30-2006, 01:11 PM

I will check the spark. But one thing, are the plug wires suppost to be really hard to pull out of the holes? Just wondering cause the #4 plug is really hard and when i pulled on it the top of it came off, but the long black piece stayed on top of the plug. I checked for spark last wed. and it had it, but that was just one plug check.

Are the cam shaft sensor and crankshaft position sensor the same thing? I replaced the crankshaft postion sensor about two weeks ago, but it was from the local junkyard. Also, how would I be able to check if the throttle position sensor is bad?

I have my fuel pump hooked up to a shut off switch. But a friend and I were working on it yesterday and did not hear anything prime itself. Will the car still start and run for 20 mins. but still able to have the fuel pump go bad.

Hope to hear from someone soon. Thanks for all the help i have received up to now.

Old 07-30-2006, 01:36 PM
Banned

Yea sometimes they can be hard. You may have messed up that one plug that is now in 2 peices. No the cam and crank sensor are not the same thing. Im not really sure how to check the throttle position sensor though. Is it possible you got a crap one out of the junk yard?

The fuel pump might not be totally dead. It might work at like 50% potential and sometimes not work at all... so i guess its possible it could be bad but still slightly work.

Old 07-30-2006, 07:32 PM

If the cam and crank are not the same thing, could u please locate me in the right direction of where the two of them are on the car? I know that the crankshaft position sensor is located on the valve cover. Where is the cam sensor? Also in my book, the Haynes, stats that on the 2.0 the cam and crank sensor are the same unit.

So, i should get new wires and also replace the fuel pump? What else?

[IMG]local://upfiles/8185/7B3DC2003E3044AD846750C5FC57F3AA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-30-2006, 07:49 PM

a crank position sensor is on the back of the block, not the valve cover.... the cams are in the valve cover but the crank is under all of that. Some times haynes lies thats why I like chiltons.

Old 07-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Banned

Um... yea.... what he said LOL.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:48 AM

dude, 1g get walking crank. why would you think that they don't? did you know that toyato supras, mr2 and a few nissans also get walking cranks? probably not. i've been doing imports long before i could drive.
but anyways, back to the situation. have you been able to get the car started?

Quick Reply: 1g help please