1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

92 turbo awd rare?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 12:26 AM
Default 92 turbo awd rare?

Hello all, new here, I've just bought a 92 eclipse turbo all wheel drive. I was told the awd's were rare, is this true? By the way, I only drove this car 9 miles before it slung a rod, the answer to above question will help me decide where to go from here. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:39 AM
Default RE: 92 turbo awd rare?

that sucks really bad, i have a 93 awd and after only driving about 100 miles, one of my exhaust valves took a major sh**. and after putting it back together i got about 90 miles and cracked one of my rockers. . this really isnt a reply to your answer but i know how your feeling about buying a car and not working after a couple days.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:55 AM

Your depressing me 93gsx

Old 01-12-2006, 09:59 AM

sounds like the person you bought it form did take car of the car. all needed is a motor overhaule unless the rod did major damage inside the motor.

Old 01-12-2006, 08:28 PM

sorry dude. personally i would keep it only if the rod went because it would give you a good chance to put better rods and pistons in it since youll have to take it apart anyways. or just buy a set of new stock rods and do a rebuild. i havent seen to many other gsx's around my town, maybe one other one, only when i go to a car show or something. i see alot of 1g eclipse's driving around but only the non-turbo cars.

p.s. sorry to bust your chops (get435) but shouldnt it say 'sounds like the person you bought it form didn't take car of the car'.( instaed of did)

Old 01-12-2006, 10:27 PM

ORIGINAL: 93eclipsegsx

sorry dude. personally i would keep it only if the rod went because it would give you a good chance to put better rods and pistons in it since youll have to take it apart anyways. or just buy a set of new stock rods and do a rebuild. i havent seen to many other gsx's around my town, maybe one other one, only when i go to a car show or something. i see alot of 1g eclipse's driving around but only the non-turbo cars.

p.s. sorry to bust your chops (get435) but shouldnt it say 'sounds like the person you bought it form didn't take car of the car'.( instaed of did)
I totally agree. First I never see turbo 1Gs around and the AWD ones are even more rare to see. Honestly if the block doesnt have a hole in it I would buy it in a heart beat. With a few thousand dollars in a rebuild and mods that car will fly. I would def. rebuild the entire motor and make it all stronger including the head. chances are it will need head work if the car was run for a while with a spun bearing or bad rod. If you dont have the time and money it isnt worth it but for a project that you can chip away at you could have that thing running 11s/12s if you do the right work on it

Old 01-13-2006, 01:27 AM

their not that rare... seeing how their performance cars the only ones still around are the ones that people took extremely good car of or brought back from the dead... If you check local junkyards their litered all over the place along with dsmtunerz.com f/s section and dsmtrader... when it was up.

Old 01-13-2006, 09:08 AM

ORIGINAL: slow420a

their not that rare... seeing how their performance cars the only ones still around are the ones that people took extremely good car of or brought back from the dead... If you check local junkyards their litered all over the place along with dsmtunerz.com f/s section and dsmtrader... when it was up.
1G AWD are pretty damn rare. I have only seen 2 of them that I knew were AWD. and have looked for them in the past wanting to buy one. the FWDs are alot easier to find even they are tough to find in good shape too. but like I said I would buy it for cheap good motor or not.

My buddy bought a 91 R\T TT stealth that had a bad motor (everything was bad) he paid $4000 for it. now only $1000 more the car is running cause he bought a 95 TT stealth that was crashed and swapped the motor tranny and interior. so for $5000 he has a 91 stealth in nearly perfect condition (his interior before was ripped to shreds) and he could easily go sell the working stealth for $10,000 if he wanted.

Old 01-13-2006, 08:21 PM

Thanks for the replies. I had allready bought the car before it blew up. I paid 1800 for it. The block is ruined, I can get a rebuilt engine for 1395 + 350 for core charge. I think I am going to do it, as I really liked the car what little I drove it. Any suggestions will be greatly apprieciated. By the way, what does GSX stand for? ( I am a total newbie to sports cars, I have allways been a 4x4 guy)

Old 01-13-2006, 09:09 PM

ORIGINAL: maverick359

Thanks for the replies. I had allready bought the car before it blew up. I paid 1800 for it. The block is ruined, I can get a rebuilt engine for 1395 + 350 for core charge. I think I am going to do it, as I really liked the car what little I drove it. Any suggestions will be greatly apprieciated. By the way, what does GSX stand for? ( I am a total newbie to sports cars, I have allways been a 4x4 guy)
GSX is the trim of a DSM eclipse basicly GSx is AWD Turbo and GSt is FWD turbo

Quick Reply: 92 turbo awd rare?