1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

94 Eclipse

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Default 94 Eclipse

Hello All,
Im new here and am currently looking to buy a 94 manual eclipse. Most likely ill be stuck with the GS 2.0, just because I cant find anything better in my area. But before I go out and buy it, i had a question, and figured it would be best to go straight to the mitsubishi guys. Currently i have a Nissan Sentra with a full exhaust, hi flo cat and intake, (not much but eh it was a start) and now im looking to sell it. I looked it up on Edmunds just to see the HP difference in what i currently have and in what the eclipse will have and its only like a 20hp/torque difference. Haha i know this sounds sorta lame but is this a signifant increase? Will the eclipse be way faster than the sentra? (oh the sentra is auto too and the eclipse will be manual)..And ive heard rumors that eclipse's tranny's go out a lot and they require high maintanance...is this true? Thanks in advance for the answer guys. (i tried searching but considering this is a mitsubishi forums page i didnt expect to find anything on the comparison of a sentra and a eclipse)

Thanks again,
Michael

Old 05-05-2005, 07:53 PM
Administrator
Default RE: 94 Eclipse

taking two of the same cars, with the same specs..and a good manual driver...the manual will almost always be faster, barring some sort of mechanical issue.

for instance, my car stock with an automatic ( [:@] ) ran a 16.90...the manual version of my car is over a second faster as tested by C&D...something like a 15.8...i have done work to my car, nothing major..and i am still only at 16.1

Old 05-05-2005, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

You also have to take into account weight ratios. More weight less power per pound. Or more weight more power required to move it. Sentra's are a bit lighter than Eclipses if I'm not mistaken. (I have both a sentra AND an eclipse but my sentra is standard the eclipse isn't running and is auto.) Besides there are many more mods it seems that you can do with an Eclipse than a Sentra. So potential wise you'll be better off w the Eclipse.

Old 05-06-2005, 10:37 AM

in the eclipse i have a manuel but have heard the autos are the ones with the problems the good thing about a manuel is that most of them are almost bulletproof because the way a manuel is desighned the clutch will give before anything else. to where an auto the whole tranny goes. im just a manuel person though.

Old 05-06-2005, 01:44 PM

awd manual trannys will go out very fast with repetitive launches.

Old 05-06-2005, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

AWD trannies go out incredibly fast without launching at all. A friend of mine went through 3 and never tried to race EVER (That was in less than 6 months no less). There is also a WHOLE lot more that can go wrong in an auto vice a standard. I agree the clutch is designed to give before the tranny does under normal driving circumstances.