1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

Bunch of questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Default Bunch of questions

Hey guys, I got my computer fixed, so I'm back again. This time I have a bunch of questions that I'm hoping someone can help me out with. I just bought a non running 1990 Eagle Talon non-turbo for $350, is that a good deal? Anyway, on to the questions.
1. I was wanting to turbo the Talon and make it awd, so if I was to get another awd Turbo Talon with a blown motor, and bought a new turbo engine and swapped out everything that I would need to make it turbo, would it work?
2. Would I have to get a 1990 Talon or would other years work for it too? And would I have to get a Talon or would an Eclipse switch just as well?
3. In order to switch the stock 14g turbo to a 16g, what all would I have to change other than the turbo it's self?
4. What all would I have to do in order to install a fmic? Would I have to adjust the stock bumper, ect.
5. How hard is it to change a timing belt and set the timing? and what all would I have to do to do it?
6. What is the difference in a long block and a short block for these cars?
7. What do you guys think would be a good price for an awdTurbo Talon with a blown motor?

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way, seeing that this car is going to be my project for a while.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Default RE: Bunch of questions

1) yes it is able to be done, BUT it is VERY VERY hard and i dont suggest trying it..
2) IF you are trying it, you can get a 90-94 talon or eclipse or plymouth laser, they are all thesame thing
3) not sure on that one bro, probably BOV, and if you are looking to gain more HP, get intake, injectors, new exhaust manifold most likely..
5) timing belt is easy to change, just pull off the covers on the side, all of your accessory belts then the timing belt.. it is not as easy to put it in time, i would get a hayens manual to help..
6) i didnt think they made long and short blocks on these...
7) i am not good at pricing, someone just bought one on this site thought for 250 that wasnt running

Old 10-09-2007, 03:32 PM

alright man, Thanks for the help. I think I'm about talked outta making it turbo, everyone keeps telling me it's not worth it, so does anyone know where I can send in an engine to get it rebuilt and how much it would cost, just a ballpark pricing. I think I'm just gonna buy a awd turbo talon, that'll make 3, you can never have too many of these things

Old 10-09-2007, 03:35 PM

buying an AWD Talon is the best way to go..
As for rebuilding the engine, it is going to cost 4x more if you have someone else do it, and maybe about $800-1000 if you do all the work yourself.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:15 AM

there is no 14g turbo on them stock, itsa 14B - but putting a 16g in place is a direct swap. nothing different really.

long block is an engine that comes with the head on it, a short block is the bottom end assembly only. it more of just a term used to describe with or without the topend on it. that goes for evrything.

whats wrong with the engine you have first? becaue if it blown up badthen you need to find a rebuildable engine, anything is fixable but rebuilding a running engine is ALOT cheaper than one that was locked up and you have nothing but a block to work with. if its got a thrown rod then most likely its all toated.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:12 PM

I'm not sure on what is wrong with the engine, they say it's either a blown head gasket or the timing belt broke. I haven't gotten the car at my house yet. Thanks for the other info.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:10 PM

well... this is a stupid statment they made lol.. ok, its this easy.. look, is the timing belt broke ?? LOL and also, if you blew the head gasket, you should have white, goopy oil from the water mixing in it.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:02 AM

that dont always happen..

Old 10-11-2007, 09:43 AM

yea i know, thats only if the water mixed with the oil quite a bit and then it heated up, but still it is something to look for, that what if it is blowing smoke

Old 10-11-2007, 03:33 PM

I'll check that stuff when I get it. It won't be here till next week. Is there any way the timing belt could have slipped and not broke and jumped timing? if so, you wouldn't be able to tell by just looking at the belt would you?

Quick Reply: Bunch of questions