1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

Bunch of questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 06:52 AM
Default RE: Bunch of questions

unless you have taken the belt off before, it really shouldnt have jumped time unless the belt is all torn up missinga few teeth. and the only way to tell is pull off the other belts (waterpump, powersteering pump, air pump and alternator) and take a wrench and turn your cam gear untill it is top dead center, then go down on the bottom and see if they are all lined up...

Old 10-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

a timing belt can easily slip. If the tensioner is going or something. I had that happen to mine. Just check the timing marks on the cam gears and see if it is in line. Hmmm air pump...thats a new one on me

Old 10-19-2007, 01:29 PM

I just got my Talon here, and I pulled off the top timing belt cover, and the belt seems to be whole and it's on there tight. If it was broke, wouldn't it be either off the cams or really loose? Is there another way to tell if the timing belt is broke without taking all the belts off and everything? Also, could it just be a fuel problem? it turns over, but just doesn't start one bit. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:45 PM

Another update, neither the timing belt nor the head gasket are bad. I replaced the battery and got the car to start. It has a really rough idle, and then smooths out a little but not to normal, and when I press the gas, it wants to stall at first, but then after I let off the gas it revs up. When the idle smooths out some, when I press the gas, it hesitates for a minute, then revs. When I rev it, black smoke comes outta the back. Is this a fuel problem? could it just be bad gas? If so, how do I drain it, and where's the fuel filter? Also, when I put it in gear and start moving, the front of the car makes a noise, kind of like a sizzling noise, but I don't think it's a sizzle. Maybe more like something rubbing together. And it stinks like something burning. Is this a trans problem? Thanks for the help.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:54 PM

First of all the fuel filter should be right next to where the battery goes. You will see a hose coming into the top of a cylinderish looking thing in a clamp mounted on the firewall. Another thing is i don't think bad gas would make black smoke i think it woul make it do more of putt-putt. Also the noise you are hearing from the front end may be a bearing that is shot in your hub assembly. The way to check that is get the front end on jacks or a hoist or up in the air somehow. Once its in the air grab the top and bottom of the tire and if you can feel any movement at all and i mean ANY than your bearing is shot. Back to the smoke, is it black black or kinda bluish black, and what does it smell like. If it smells kinda earthy like a deep dark scent than it may be burning oil. Umm other than that good luck and keep us updated on whats up with the problems.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:49 PM

Thanks for the info. When you say if I feel any movement in the tire, how am I supposed to move the tire? push the top in, and then push the bottom in? Will it hurt anything to drive it short distances like that? Also, the smoke is black black, and it smells sorta like partly burnt gas.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:40 PM

Also, when the car is at idle, and the fan comes on, or I turn the wheel to max, it wants to stall. Just drove it today.