1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

car wont start.... help

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Default car wont start.... help

iamabadperson777 posted earlier about his battery and now its turning over but wont start. it turns over no problem and when i pump the gas i can smell gas so i dont think its the fuel pump but i could be wrong. anyone know what could be wrong. im not familiar with the fuil rail and injectors, so idk if it could be up in that area. if anyone has any ideas what could be wrong let me know..

thanks, cory

Old 01-13-2007, 01:55 AM
Default RE: car wont start.... help

Alternator, bad battery terminal (my Eclipse was'nt starting and i changed the terminals now its fine), starter, wiring short, ignition switch, sooo many factors could cause a car not to start properly.

A little more specific as to the symptoms please?

Old 01-13-2007, 02:12 AM

if he smells gas i don't think it's the batter.... check your Fuel Pressure Regulator.... pore just a tiny bit of fuel into the intake manifold and see if it starts, i had the same problem on my 99 GS, i pored a liil into my intake and it started right up, then i changed the FPR and it ran like a champ.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:39 AM
Banned

Fuel but no spark... that could be what was wrong with my eclipse..

Try the ICM (ignition control module)

Old 01-13-2007, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator

First off let's take things logically here. He said he smells gas and it doesn't start... FLOODED maybe? Let's first take the spark plugs out and let the engine air for a day or 2 to evaporate all excess gas in the cylinders. NOW check for spark. You can do this 1 of 2 ways. There is a small tool you can buy that gets attached to the spark plug top and the wire plugs into and will light up when the wire sends the spark to the plug. OR the old fashioned way, take a plug put it in a wire, wear a pair of thick gloves and hold the metal of the plug to a grounded piece of metal on the car to see if the plug sparks.

Now if there is spark present you have only 1 other thing to check for a no start condition. First go ahead and put all plugs back in and try starting the car it MAY just start since you aired it out and arae no longer flooded. If it DOESN'T start then take a can of starter fluid and spray inside the intake while holding the butterfly valve open (Or have whoever is turning the key hold the gas pedal down). This WILL require you to disconnect the intake so if it DOES start it won't run for long and will run like crap. If it DOES start using this method then you have a fuel system problem. Start by changing the fuel filter and see if that fixes it.

If it doesn't fix the problem and you DO have spark then your problem lies inside the engine itself. Do a compression check to see if you have a valve problem or if you're out of time.

If there is no spark then start by replacing the wires then look towards the ignition module. There isn't alot to the spark side to test or change so it shouldn't be long before that problem if it exists, is fixed.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:03 AM
Banned

Its prolly the coil pack or the ignition control. In order to find out exactly you need to get ahold of some testing equipment.

Finding if the car has spark or not.. (most likely not... ) then it could be multiple things that only testing equipment can tell you what is the bad component.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:20 AM
Super Moderator

Sebba do you actually KNOW what you're talking about? I just gave a full detailed proceedure from start to finish to test the problems and you're going to tell me that he needs to get test equipment??? Seriously how long have you worked on cars and what shops have YOU worked for? I've worked at 3 different shops and been fixing cars since I was 17 (10 years now BTW). SOME people can't afford expensive test gear and there are ALWAYS ways around it. Please quite trying to contradict me. Thanks bia.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:58 PM

idk if this will change anything, but it was running for like a minut and then just died once, now we cant get it started again. so it was running just fine and all of a sudden quite. i wasnt there when it happened but thats what im told happened. another thing i noticed was the oil cap wont tighten, when you put it on theres always a lil slack, could that be the problem?

Old 01-13-2007, 04:38 PM
Banned

Ok sang i wasnt dissagreeing with you damnit. Testing if you have spark is one thing. Knowing why you DONT have spark is another. The testing equipment wont just tell you if you have spark it will tell you why.

I recomend checking as sang said... thats good. Then if you dont have spark... go one step backwards. Check the wires/coil. The only way to check the coil would be either to hook it upto another car... or hook the wireing harness to a tester while cranking it over. Then if that shows up that the coil is not working... go one step back again... then you have the ignition control module... that can also be tested by a tester.

After i had a similar thing happen to the GST i did a little research... and it seems like its not uncommon for the ICM to go out... or the coil for that matter. You cant tell 100% what is wrong without either swapping it to another car... or using testing equipment.

Old 01-13-2007, 04:40 PM

ORIGINAL: hatchetman9449

idk if this will change anything, but it was running for like a minut and then just died once, now we cant get it started again. so it was running just fine and all of a sudden quite. i wasnt there when it happened but thats what im told happened. another thing i noticed was the oil cap wont tighten, when you put it on theres always a lil slack, could that be the problem?
When that occured, had you just recently filled the tank up?
If so, that just sounds like the fuel pump.
When you turn the key to ON, do you hear an electronic humming from the rear??

Quick Reply: car wont start.... help