1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

Cluch troubles

Old 08-15-2007, 09:41 AM
Default Cluch troubles

My clutch is giving me trouble. I have a 92 mitsu 1.8 GS. First thing in the mourning, my clutch pedal has zero tension. Like its not engaging. I have to pump my clutch to get tension. Its really hard to get it into 1st gear. It will start grinding unless I press the clutch super hard and shift it just right. Any ideas ?

I also want to introduce myself to the forum. My name is Mac and I live in philly. This car has been really good for me. I've owned it for 1 1/2 years with no problems. I love the car and hopefully can get it running good again. Thanks for reading and for answering any questions.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:19 AM
Default RE: Cluch troubles

you could try adjusting it first, but sounds like the master cyl might be going bad.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:32 AM

Ok. Is the master cylinder an expensive fix?

Old 08-15-2007, 12:01 PM

Not sure.
look up how to adjust your clutch on vfaq.com first, adjust it within reason and see if that fixes it.
you might try bleeding it out also if its never been done, old fluid will sometimes collect moisture over time.
if your under the dash to adjust it and you see fluid coming out of the master on the back side and running down the firewall its time to replace it.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:32 PM

sounds like you have massive air pockets in your clutch lines, this may be caused by your clutch master cylinder.

either that, or your not getting enough clutch travel. also check for leaks in the slave cylinder.

let us know so we can help

Gus

Old 08-15-2007, 06:35 PM

I think I should bleed the system and add new oil. For the first time I open my Master cylinder cap and its almost empty! My coworker told me to put any type of stop leak in there to avoid replacing./rebuilding the master cylinder. Good idea?

Old 08-15-2007, 09:21 PM

No, not a good idea. It's not like the cooling system where there's constant pressure. I would sooner get an old, rusty master/slave from the junkyard than put any type of stop leak in there.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:38 AM

Stop leak?
wtf...
find the leak, replace the bad part, you fill it with BRAKE FLUID not oil. then you have to bleed it out of course.
look under the dash i bet its leaking out from behind the master cyl.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:21 AM

absolutely, as silvercoupe said, if you budget doesn't allow it. Just go to an old junkyard, and scoop one up their for dirt cheap. If your pockets are big enough, you can maybe stuff it one them, and go by unoticed!

lol just kidding.

Replace the master cylinder, which should be a 20 minute opperation, bleed the lines thoroughly, and the problem should be fixed. If it continues which i doubt highly, let us know and we'll give you more options

Gus

Old 08-17-2007, 06:25 AM
Banned

Remove the clutch fluid reservoir cap. Check the level. If its low, fill it up and have someone pump the clutch while watching for bubbles. When they stop.... take it for a drive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cluch troubles