1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

evo cams?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Default evo cams?

i have the first gen 4g63 turbo would evo cams be a good upgrade... its the same motor but are the cams better in the evo because i have a buddy that just got some 272s for his evo and i was asking about his old ones

Old 09-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Default RE: evo cams?

You're not talking about the EVO 4-9 are you?

Old 09-27-2008, 11:05 AM

would any of them work

Old 09-27-2008, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

You can use evo 8/9 cams but its a little bit of work. You have to use the exhaust cam off the evo as an intake on the 1g and the intake came off the evo as an exhaust on a 1g. You also have to mess the cas and cam gears for it to work. A few guys on dsm_tuners done it. Just search it.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:15 PM

I know of the threads that you're talking about DSM, but they are inconclusive. They start, argue, but no finishing conclusion with facts.

So, I say no to the EVO 4-9, but yes to the EVO 1-3 (since it's the same 4g63). Keep in mind that the E3 uses a similar cam as the 1G.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

I know of the threads that you're talking about DSM, but they are inconclusive. They start, argue, but no finishing conclusion with facts.

So, I say no to the EVO 4-9, but yes to the EVO 1-3 (since it's the same 4g63). Keep in mind that the E3 uses a similar cam as the 1G.
No there is one guy who did a small write up I'll try to find it.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Here it is http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/hang...-cams-dsm.html just fill in the **** w/ tuners lol.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:06 PM

Yup, that's the same thread I read. But read the entire thread, there's no conclusion. Sure there's a write-up, but he doesn't come back with anything. Deviant tries to explain to everyone the mechanics behind using the exhaust cam on the intake side.
Defiant

Now that you've put into the ante, here's the deal: think of yourself as a cam rocker roller. Sit in the roller, just like you're sitting in a roller-coaster car. Stretching out in front of you is the track, and ahead of you is a hill that you'll be going up and over. Oh, and the ride will be very, very fast. Since this isn't a Ducati ride, nor a Mercedes M198 engine, we'll be taking the retaining wheels off the bottoms of the trucks, counting only on gravity (the valve springs) to keep us down on the track.
As we approach the hill, which turns out to be much more steep that it looked like, the rise into the actual climb is tapered some so that our spines aren't speared upward into our brain cases (although most still have enough room in there that damage would be minimal). Kind of like the way a driveway's curb is cut down to near street-level, to save you denting your rims every time you head toward the garage. In the case of DSM valve assemblies, the acceleration ramp is made so that it gives the hydraulic lifter a chance to adjust whatever clearance may be in the valve actuation system, and to keep from slamming the rocker bearings and valve stem tip.
The acceleration away from the ground (cam circle center) keeps increasing as we near the crest of the hill. However, at the summit, we can't be going so fast that we fly off the track (valve float), and the track is carefully designed to keep us just at the edge of flying-off.
As we reach zero gravity, the track starts to fall out from under us again. And again, the profile of the track is arranged so that the wheels never come free of the rails (and the valves and followers don't float). It's not the same shape as the up-side of the ride was, but we're falling very quickly (the valve is closing). But we don't want to drive off the curb and land hard, and we don't want the valves to hammer-out the seats. So there's another nice, smooth ramp to bring us back to ground level (cam circle base). This also is designed so that the fancy suspension under our roller-coaster car (hydraulic lifter) doesn't bounce nor go soft. If the roller-coaster was a hardtail (solid lifters) it would have a different shape from the one we're on. And oh, looky, another hill already. All this crap has to go on just the same, every time, up to seventy times every second. No jostling the riders, no "getting air", no driving up over nor off the edge of the curb. Just nice and smooth, up and down, fully controlled against gravity (valve spring pressure) every last time.
So, what happens if we pick the coaster car up, turn it around and ride the track backward? Oh, we'll still go up and down. The summit will be a bit iffy, because all the careful sculpturing that made sure we'd stay against the rails in the other direction is now tending to bump us clear of the rails at the summit, and the acceleration and deceleration ramps aren't working with this suspension. The lifters are getting pumped-up and bled-down wrong, we're getting air at the peak, and everyone's starting to throw up.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:12 PM

The OPs story doesn't add up either. He stated that he's going to use an old blown gasketed motor to play with since he's got another one being built, but then he gets a valve job on the one he's using to test on.
He was smart to flip the CAS sensor pickups around for timing, but the fact remains that the back side of a lobe is still different than the front side of a lobe.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

I remember reading that someone that did it but I cant remember where. I think there was a guy on the galant vr-4 forums that did it but I can find the thread.

Quick Reply: evo cams?