1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

flippin DSM motors

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Default flippin DSM motors

okay im getting tired of this DSM motor and hopefully somone will have the time to read my post pleeaassee...
now, i have a 1.8liter n/a eclipse and have done alot of work to. here is why i said i hope someone has tiome to read, imma make a list of what all i have done to this car and what is still wrong with it. Things i have done: New cylinder head, new spark plugs and wires, new distributor cap, new CV seals on tranny, new rear main seal, new radiator hoses top and bottom, new oil filter, new head gasket, new valve cover gasket, oh man prolly a few other things i cant think of at the moment..
Current Problems: Very small oil leak from top of oil pan, need new brakes and rotors, need new trunck struts and tires need ballance i belive, and i need one of the exhaust bolts connecting headers to pipes.
The reason i have typed all this is because i have put over 2300 into the car and cant sell it for more than 1500 more than likely, and i need a car to get me from here(Georgia) to ohio and i dont think this car will make it...i was just wondering, is there ever a end to the problems this car can have?? i mean i have fixed about everything lol and i was hoping yall could tell me #1) if there will ever be an end to the problems #2) do you think the car will make it to ohio??

thanks for any help

Old 06-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Default RE: flippin DSM motors

is there ever a end to the problems this car can have??
its a dsm.. no lol

do you think the car will make it to ohio??
ya it should be fine if what you listed is everything thats wrong with it. just keep an eye on your oil level, check it periodically on the trip up

Old 06-01-2007, 11:12 PM

well before i even attempt the trip up i will check that seal on top of the oil pan

Old 06-02-2007, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

the leak is most likely the oil pan seal like you said. And you should be fine. As long as the brakes arnt that bad. That would be my biggest worry. And as far as fixing stuff. Any time you own a car that old, there is alwasy gonna be stuff to fix. The car is over 10 years old. Things are bound to break down. And looking at the stuff youve fixed, those are all basic stuff that you would plan on fixing at some point in the life of a car axcept for needing to replace a cylinder head. But at least the engine is still running for you. Alot of people dont even make it that far .

Old 06-04-2007, 11:34 AM

well the engine wasnt running when i bought it, my main fear is breaking down halfay to ohio in like Kentuky cuz i dont know what i would do..[&:] there would be no way to get it home except pay out the @$$ for a tow truck, i wanted to sell it like i said but i wont get more than 1500 for it and that wont buy me a reliable car...thanks for the help though