1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Default Fuel Tank

My gas tank on this car is apparently full of rust. I blinded 2 fuel filters on the way back from a trip last weekend and had to keep dumping the input side of the fuel filter so I could unclog it enough to get a few more miles down the hwy.

Does anyone know where I can get a fuel tank that will work on the car? I dont even care about it being OEM. I dont want to go with used because it will be the same problem. The car was parked for over 2 yrs with the tank empty and thats where it came from.

I am going to try and clean it with acid, but I dont know what all I need to do to coat the inside so it doesnt just rust up again. I plan to dry it with isoporal alcohol and then swish WD40 or diesel fuel around in it to help stop the rust before I put it back under the car. Any suggestions are welcome.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Banned
Default RE: Fuel Tank

Junk yard!

Old 12-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck trying to get one, is your car awd or fwd? Your not going to be able to get an oem one, just what sebba said either junkyard or dsmtrader.com.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

alright ill try and give you alittle insight here. First to get a brand new one is gonna be very expensive. Here is a site that lists the oem part for it
https://www.mitsubishiparts.com/oe_parts_catalog.html
They go from $600 to $700 there and anywhere you go online

However, if you do go to a junkyard alot of these will have a short warrenty on the part you can find them for around $200-$300. Either way its a good ammount of money but if it were me id go with the used part. Youll find these cars everywhere in junkyards and im sure youll find one with a tank in decent condition. Here is a good online site for junkyards
www.car-part.com

Old 12-04-2007, 11:10 AM

Well, the reason I asked is on my 90 model jeep, I just got a new one at autozone for 120 bucks, but they dont carry one for this car. I'm not paying 500 bucks for a tank from the stealership, since I only paid 300 for the whole car, I think that would be a bit rediculous.

Anyhow, I'll just clean out the one I have, it got that way from being parked for 2 years on E by the previous owner, so a junk yard car will have the exact same problem and then I'd just have two tanks full of rust.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:49 PM

you can try a radiator shop. Some of them will clean and coat your gas tank for about 100.00.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:06 AM

"alright ill try and give you alittle insight here. First to get a brand new one is gonna be very expensive. Here is a site that lists the oem part for it
https://www.mitsubishiparts.com/oe_parts_catalog.html "

Ok, $688 is outrageous for a fuel tank. I'll make one out of sheet metal or something before I pay that for a car I paid 300 bucks for. I'd like to find where the tanks are actually coming from. This is the only place I've seen that actually has one. Everywhere else says they cant get them.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:15 AM

Update:

I bought a 12 gallon outboard motor tank from the boat store and an external EFI fuel pump from summit and I'm going to make that work. The stock tank is toast.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Post some pics of your build.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:10 AM

I'll get some pictures soon. I got it going Thurs and drove it over 400 miles this weekend for a trip I had to go on. Other then the fuel pump being noisey,because I ended up putting it inside the car as well, its not too bad. You cant hear it when you're driving, pretty much just idling its noisey. Anyways, It runs better then it has before, since the engine is getting enough fuel now.

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank