1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

Hello All! A few ?'s here. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Default Hello All! A few ?'s here. Please help!

I just bought a 1992 Laser with 106,XXX accual miles on it. The dealer told me it needed a battery. So he put a battery on it & after the test drive I bought it. Picked it up today & did not even make it back to work before it died! Put a second battery on and got it here to work. Just pulled the alternator off so I can take it to our local Alt. repair shop in the morning.
Here is my question; The brake lights, turn signals, and hazard lights do not work. Tail lights (When headlights are on) and headlights work fine. A/C works great. All fuses look ok. So what elese could it be? Does anyone know if the brake lights, tail lights and hazard lights all wire in though the turn signal switch on the steering collum? (Thats kinda my guess right now, but I know next to nothing about these cars) Anyone had this same problem before? ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!

PS: Is there any common trouble areas with this model? I have verry little time to surf the web, so I have to rely on a specific forum or my local freinds/mechanics for info. But no one seems to know anything about this car.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Default RE: Hello All! A few ?'s here. Please help!

Check your brake light swtich on the brake pedal and your blinker switch on the steering column.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:09 AM

Ya actually the turn signals do wire into the harzards but im not positive about the brake lights because when i was foolin around with my hazards i never had anyone look behind the car. The reason i found this out, was i took off my interior panels and disconnected the hazard connector and found out my turn signals didnt work. As for the brake lights...possibly?

Old 08-09-2007, 12:21 AM

If the alternator is bad and it's output voltage is below12 volts total (battery + alternator) the electrical system starts to divide the power to the major parts of the car, i.e...ignition, fuel pump, ECU, and it even divides the power to the "necessary" sensors.
Once power goes below 12 volts or so, everything starts to get screwed up, to include all your lights.
Get the alternator situated first, then ask about the lighting. It looks obvious to me that your issues stem from the alternator. I would have your dealer reimburse you for a repaired or new alternator...don't get one from autozone either because their refurbished ones aren't any better half the time.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:18 AM

Thanks everyone. I will let you know how it goes after I get my alt. back from the repair shop. And I agree with you (silvercoupe97) on the Auto Zone alternators. Thats why I have mine rebuilt here at a local shop. MOST of the time a local Alternator shop will do an Exellent job, do it right the first time, and can do it for 1/2 the price of a parts store alternator. Just depends on what you drive I guess. I did get one from NAPA several years ago for my old truck because it was cost effective for that particular model.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:56 PM

Ok, I installed rebuilt alternator, and the system is charging ok. getting steady 14.5-14.8 volts. But the blinkers, hazards, and brake lights still do not work. The third brake light at the top does work. Any other Ideas???????