1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

Ignition Problem!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 07:51 PM
Default Ignition Problem!!!!!!!!!!

Ok last week my 91 Eclipse randomly wouldnt start...what i mean by that is that everytime i turn the key it just buzzes...i found the source or the buzzing and i believe it was the stater relay under the dash...i replace the relay with no luck...so i check out my starter and battery...have them tested and they are good as new...all my connections were checked as well as the fuses and relays....but for some reason there is nothing goin to the starter...please help...thanks

Old 08-31-2007, 09:21 PM
Default RE: Ignition Problem!!!!!!!!!!

get your alternator checked, it might have froze up or just died

Old 08-31-2007, 11:38 PM

that doesnt explain it not turning over and clickin when i turn the ignition key.....its a brand new alternator...got it a month ago...the engine turns over easy by hand because i just replaced the distributor...

Old 09-01-2007, 04:54 AM

is the battery charged? the battery itself might be takin a crap on ya. sounds like its just dead.
if you got that alternator from autozone i bet its bad already.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:34 AM

Have a mechanic (or you can do it if you have one) take a remote starter switch and hook directly from the battery to the starter. If it turns over, It is a good possibility that your ignition switch is bad. Also, a real easy thing to check if your car has a manual trans is the clutch safty switch. It is located on the clutch pedal under the dash. (I THINK)If it is out of adjustment or faulty, it will not let the car start. If it is an automatic trans, check the Park switch.If you have an ohmm meter, these are easy to check. If you dont have an ohmm/multi meter, you need to buy one! Its one of those things you really do not know how often you need it untill you have one. For one reason or another, I end up using mine several times a week. (I also do service work on farm equipment though.) If the battery checks ok, then the alternator has nothing to do with it. You said you had the battery & starter checked out, but was the starter checked under a load? Some starters here at the shop check ok when free-wheeling, but once they are under a load, they fall flat on ther power. The relay you said has allready been replaced, Other than what I mentioned above, I cant think of anything else it could be, exept maybe bad wires. OH,,,,,and check the ground strap from the engine block to the frame. The motor is mounted in rubber bushings, isolating it from the chasis ground, so if the motor ground strap is corroded or broken, your engine will not start.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:08 PM

The battery was fully charged just to clear that up...i also just got back from getting the alternator checked...its all good....well about my ignition switch....the previous owners made it so that i just turn the key on and then push a button to make it start...and its kinda stupid..but i went thru those wires and they all turned up good....But c when i push the button to start that relay i was talking about just buzzes...i checked the clutch pedal and it was unhooked....actually if i push on the clutch switch when i try to start the buzzing goes away as well as everything else...so.....im still lost...with your guys help i have been able to narrow it downa little....so im gonna go check grounds right now...the only thing is, is that all my lights work..i hear my fuel pump kick on..so basically everything in my car functions except the starter.....

Old 09-04-2007, 04:52 PM

Why do poeple like to rig stupid things like that up? Now there is NO way of tracing the facory wire harness out for troubleshooting! ( Oh, Wait, I do the same rigging!!!! )

Old 09-04-2007, 04:54 PM

OK, so now we need to step back and ask ourselfs "WHY did the prevoius owner do that." I'd say he must have been having starting problems too. Can you contact him for more info?

Old 09-04-2007, 06:22 PM

Dude here is my suggestion. Take a volt meter or test light and see if there is power on the starter post when someone turns the ignition or pushes the button in your case. Keep working back from the starter or away from the switch with a test light or volt meter and find out out where power starts or stops. This should narrow down an area where you can hopefully isolate the problem. It does sound like a loose or corroded connection somewhere. But if someonedid a hack an dash electrical on you already it could become a challenge! Hope this helps and good luck!!

Old 09-05-2007, 12:10 PM

OK,,, is this a standard or automatic transmission?