1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

Large Oil Leak Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 10:39 PM
Default Large Oil Leak Anyone?

I have a 1991 Plymouth Laser 2.0 Turbo and I just finished an engine overhaul(kinda), head remachining and timing belt change.
Here's my question, there is a large oil leak coming from just behind and above the oil filter mounting bracket and the oil pressure relief valve. I have no idea what would cause this as during my procedure I never once touched the oil filter bracket/pan area. I'm wondering if maybe the banjo bolt that bolts to the head for the fresh oil return has to be aligned properly with the line? Anyone?

Old 02-27-2006, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Large Oil Leak Anyone?

If I'm not mistaken the way a banjo bolt setup is made alignment isn't important. The piece the banjo bolt goes through has a channel around it just for that reason.

Old 02-27-2006, 08:29 PM

Are banjo bolts not always pressurized? I think I'm wrong, but the best thing to do would be to follow the lines, and find he leak, and let us know exactly where it's coming from so we can be more help.

-brandoN^-

Old 02-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Exactly. trace the line find the leak.

Old 02-28-2006, 06:33 PM

Okay, I've just slightly managed to narrow it down further, I am going to start working on it again pretty quickly here. The reason I asked about the banjo bolt is that I thought there might be a clog in it and the oil relief valve was opening, the leak only happens when my car is turned on and it seems like it is coming from up and behind the oil pressure sensor connection, almost from the same direction as would be towards the timing belt tensioner. Thanks so far for you input guys, I really appreciate it. I am going to try to get further so stay posted please.

Thanks,
Simon.

Old 02-28-2006, 06:43 PM

I've heard a rumor about timing belt cover bolts leading to oil? Perhaps if one of the timing belt bolts was not tightened properly it would be leaking out the threads, anyone with information please advise.
Thanks Again,
Wingmansd.

Old 02-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

The cover? Never heard of that. I'm certain that's a myth.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:22 PM

Fortunately my friends, I am just a dumbass, It turns out it was the balance shaft tensioner pulley bolt, was not torqued properly and oil was leaking out there. I thank you all for your help anyways though.
Thanks,
Wingmansd

Old 03-12-2006, 07:30 PM

Does anyone know if the Timing Belt Tensioner has the same oil-lubrication setup as the balance shaft tensioner pulley, my oil leak is continuing from an unknown area.

Old 03-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think the timing belt tensioner had any oil to it at all... If I'm not mistaken it's a spring setup...

Quick Reply: Large Oil Leak Anyone?