1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

looking at buying

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 11:23 PM
Default looking at buying

hi all im the newbie of the day and i am asking for some help. i am looking at buying a 90 talon tsi and i have found one that is going to need some work

http://portland.craigslist.org/car/97313892.html

i can probably get it for 1k but i need to know a little about the 4g63 motor. is the odds that it is garbage since the timing belt broke or is it salvageable? i am looking to do some performance work to it but im not looking to get 500whp. i would like to build it up a little but still make it streetable.

thanks for any help/advice

Old 09-27-2005, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: looking at buying

Well if the timing belt broke it's most likely you need a few new valves and at the worst depending on how fast the engine was running when it broke you might need pistons and rods. But that's really about all the damage that should be done I'd say have the head taken in, milled, and get a valve job done and you SHOULD be good. Take a look at the pistons though when the head is off and make sure they're in decent shape.
DANG dud that's a nice lookin car!! If I had the $ for it I'd ****** it in a heartbeat (But then I'd tear the engine and tranny out and drop them in my '92 cuz it's a custom body LOL). The block will likely be in good shape and like the add says bent valves almost for sure. It shouldn't be too bad though. You'll need to replace the oil pump definately but otherwise sounds like a decent ride. The 4G63 is a good power plant solid and reliable and able to make decent #'s if you do the work.

Old 09-27-2005, 01:27 AM

thanks for the advice. i figured the valves were gone. how good are the stock rods? i was considering if i have to go into the motor getting ross pistons. i found them for $400. and is it worth spending 1200 on a slowboyracing head or just having the stock one worked on? i figured id have to spend some money in the motor but as long as the body is in good shape and the turbo isnt shot i am looking at spending around 2k in motor work.

Old 09-27-2005, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator

From what I hear the stock rods are fairly stout. if you're planning on doing pistons and going with a higher compression or just better quality you might as well get the rods too. I haven't really looked into a racing head myself yet someone else might be able to answer that a bit better. But I'd say if you plan on starting to do anytihng to it start with feul delivery and turbo systems if your current head is still good. I'd also check the turbo while you've got the engine apart. Better to check it now and possibly have it rebuilt/ballanced now instead of ending up finding that it did spool up nicely but it was close to time to rebuild anyways you know?

Old 09-28-2005, 03:49 AM

thanks for the help the car will be here tomorrow. the guy is delivering it on flatbed total price of 1100. i will post pics as soon as i can. the inside and outside are in excelent shape. i am going to run a carfax on it before he drops it off but if all is good then i just bought a 90 tsi. i think i have found a used head for 200 bucks and im going to check into it

Old 09-28-2005, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Awesome. I think once you get it running you'll be pleased with it. As for mine... if I ever get my laptop to work right I'll post some pics so you guys can see it but hopefully I'll have it here VERY soon!

Old 09-28-2005, 02:33 PM

that is a ripoff for a non running 1g, and since it cant be test driven you are going to just have to hope he is being truthful that nothing else is wrong. people on the san diego forum sell perfect running fast 1gs for $1500-2000 all the time and if you buy that its going to cost you quite a bit to get it running again. id keep looking but thats jus me. Unless you could get it down to $500 but he probably wont...

Old 09-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah but you alsos have to look at the area. Eclipses around here are rather high as well. Running or not. A talon with a busted motor mount cracked exhaust header running but a torn up interior the guy was asking $2000. So if you wanna make a trip elsewhere to get a car (Possibly a LONG trip) you might end up spending the same or more to get there and or ship it. It's all a matter of supply and demand...

Old 09-28-2005, 04:15 PM

ive been looking in this area and it seems that every 1g dsm i find they want between 2-5k for them and they are beat all to ****. i know as far as motor and tranny go im in the dark but atleast the title is clean and the body/interior is the best i have seen on a 1g. i found a head for the car for $160 including valves and everything ready to bolt on the car. i figured if i had to spend around 2k to get it running the way it needs to be then ill still have around 3k into the car and ill know the motor was done right.

sanguinius have you heard of lucas english?

www.englishracing.net that is who i found with the head and he is willing to help with anything i need

Old 09-28-2005, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Can't say I have heard of them. Do some research and remember a head job you're going to want to replace timing belt and water pummp as well as the other accessory belts. But yes for less than 2K more into the engine (I don't think it should cost even 2K more) you'll have a good running car. Like I said pricing is all dependant on supply and demand. Those 3-5K ones you're finding are ones that kids owned cuz they watched TheFast and The Furious one too many times and just HAD to have a car to beat like they did in the movie. then they realized that it was an expesinve hobby and they didn't want to commit to it so they figure they'll get thier $ back selling the car after having thier fun. In other words too many freakin posers.

Quick Reply: looking at buying