1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

Valve cover LEAK

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Default Valve cover LEAK

Well maybe someone has a tip, my valve cover onmy talon leaks like crazy, always makes a mess. I fixed the crack in it, replaced the gasket, and the oil cap that was leakin like hell, cam seals, blah blah, it still leaks all over hell where the cover meets the head. SO i took it off, cleaned it all with brake cleaner, put some gasket sealer **** on, still leaks., tried RTV silicone, still leaks. so i put on the valve cover off the old blown up DOHC 1.8, still leaks. i give up.
Whats with cars having the "710" cap. I havent seen one yet.lol, all mine say oil the right way on the cap.
(dont start the arguement that theres no such thing as a DOHC 1.8, weve already been though this one.)

Old 03-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Default RE: Valve cover LEAK

not to ask a dumb question but are you sure that you are tightening it down enough? there was another guy on here (i don't remember who) but he was having the same problem but he was only tightnening his bolts hand tight. . . you don't seem like the kind of person that would do this i'm just trying to eliminate one possability here.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:44 PM

I would go with that first,
the if that doesnt work, i would pull the valve cover, clean it, and check it for warps with a straight edge, while this is highly impropable, anything is possible.
then I would replace the valve-cover gasket again. with a brand new one from mitsu.
As for the oil cap leaking, your o-ring is missing, get a new one, and you should be set.
if the cam seals are leaking, remove them, clean them with brake cleaner, wash them with soapy water, rinse them and dry them well, warm up your oven to 200 degrees, once the oven is pre-heated, put them inside for 5-7 minutes, and then pull them out, carefull they'll be hot, apply some good 100% silicone (not rtv, rtv is great, but good ol' clear silicone works better, believe it or not, also, the temp range on standard 100% silicon you buy at ace-hardware, or lowes is 450 degrees. so it'll take all the heat you can throw at it. Also, when you apply rtv, dont just glob it on, put a quarter inch bead down the center of the seal, and then take your finger, and smooth that out.) drop in the cam sensor. your good to go.
as for the crack, what did you fix it with? did you have it welded, did you use jb weld, how did you smooth it out? if you didnt get it smooth, or took too much off of it, thats why its leaking.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:19 PM

here we go... useful information. lol sory about that last post on the other thread, it's been a long day and it looked like you were just post whoring putting useless writing up. good call on here though.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:53 PM

lol, I was for a minute,
but the completely rare, useless information that is locked in my brain got the bettre of me. and I came up with something usefull
oh, one more tip. When you get the o-ring for your oil cap, use a small amount of superglue, and glue it to the oilcap in like 4 small tiny places around the o ring channle. this will keep it from rolling around, and ensure a proper seat of the oring. it will also not be so much that it will be hard to remove later if needed, also, soak it in oil for like an hour, and it'll be more plump, and last longer

Old 03-07-2007, 03:08 AM

i replaced it already, do you not read? these dont have an o ring, its a rubber gasket thats flat.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:35 AM

rubber gasket, lol. Yeah, I gotcha, rflmao
umm. if its still leaking after that, then it would still stand to reason that the gasket is not sealing properly. Alot of aftermarket oil caps leak because thier gaskets, or o-rings, or whatever isnt large enough to seat all the way into the cap, and also make contact with the valve cover. Factory ones tend to leak some when they get older becuase they are plastic, and the heat can cause them to warp, or crack.
Again, as i stated above, replace it. or, if its brand new, and is still leaking,, and its a factory one, run a small bead of silicone in the channel that the gasket/o-ring sits in, and then place the gasket/o-ring on that, press down only so much so, that it causes the gasket/o-ring to have full contact all the way around with the silicon. If its an aftermarket on, try using the gasket/o-ring from the original one. They are sometimes thicker, and can make more contact. If you decide to go this route, you may want to soak it in oil for about an hour, so that it will regain some of its flexability, and plump up.
good luck man.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:59 PM

dude i don't know... if you've changed the gasked already and it's still leaking just as bad... mabey it was a bad gasket that you bought possibly? mabey a factory defect or something. i think it'd be worth buyign another 13dollar gasket just to find out... either that or the only other thing i can think of is that you have another crack in the head that you can't see.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:20 PM

nevermind, good god.
soundcolor why do you even bother? read the ****ing post.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:03 PM

haha yea, he has already been spoken to by the head honcho. i tried :'-(

Quick Reply: Valve cover LEAK