1st Generation This includes all Eclipses, Talons, and Lasers built from 1990-1994.

Whats wrong with my car

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Default Whats wrong with my car

I'm gettin really frustrated with my car. I just bought a 1992 eclipse base, thats right the slowest least raciest eclipse ever. I'm startin to think DSM stands for Dip **** Motors. I paid $400 bucks for this car, i know, i shouldve expected to do some work to this car. But where do i start? The guy i bought the car from told me that the clutch was slipping a little and i drove it b4 i bought it and i noticed that the shifter quickly pops out of 4th gear. and whenever i try to put foot to it to pass or just to hear my custom air box i get nothin but RPM's. And just today i was cruisin around and my rear passenger side brakes started makin the most god awful sound. And then they got hung and i had to drag that tire into the nearest gas station to patch it. Now if it is the clutch can i change it myself and how hard will it be? If its somethin else can i just borrow someones parts car so i can just overhaul mine. i would just buy a new one but there is the simple fact that i'm unemployed and heres the really good one, my gf's expectin. lol. [:@]

Old 01-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Rob
Banned
Default RE: Whats wrong with my car

Well, whatever you do, be prepared because when it rains, it pours. You chose the wrong car for reliability, it's a 16 year old dsm.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Banned

You paid 400 bucks for it you moron, what the **** more do you want?

Old 01-25-2008, 09:51 PM

I'm startin to think DSM stands for Dip **** Motors.
-no it stands for Dont Stop Maintaining

The guy i bought the car from told me that the clutch was slipping a little and i drove it b4 i bought it and i noticed that the shifter quickly pops out of 4th gear.
-your shift cables may need adjusted, but most likely, since the cars so old, your gonna need to tear your trans apart

and whenever i try to put foot to it to pass or just to hear my custom air box i get nothin but RPM's.
-thats just your clutch slipping

And just today i was cruisin around and my rear passenger side brakes started makin the most god awful sound. And then they got hung and i had to drag that tire into the nearest gas station to patch it.
-change your brakes, not too hard

Now if it is the clutch can i change it myself and how hard will it be?
-if youve had experience working on engines and whatnot before, i would say it was accomplishable

If its somethin else can i just borrow someones parts car so i can just overhaul mine.
-if what you mentioned here is all thats wrong with the car, no sense in buying an entire parts car trying to fix it, get a used trans, a (new) clutch kit, and some brakes, if you find a good used trans you can have your car running good for prolly around 4-500 bucks

i would just buy a new one but there is the simple fact that i'm unemployed and heres the really good one, my gf's expectin. lol.
- sell the car, if you have no job and your about to have a baby, you are not gonna have the time or money to keep up with this car

Old 01-25-2008, 10:37 PM

and the cars ganna b to small for the baby

Old 01-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Banned

... moron, you paid 400 ****ing bucks for it. What more do you want?

Old 01-27-2008, 02:05 AM

the clutch isnt bad at all if you know what your doing and you have the tools, i changed mine and this is my first car...

Old 01-28-2008, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: nick_200321

the clutch isnt bad at all if you know what your doing and you have the tools, i changed mine and this is my first car...
Yeah they are pretty easy on the fwd cars, it should take u 1 1/2 to2 hrs tops.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:57 PM

gotta love our money holes.... tranny, engine, brakes, cv's, tie rods, ignition, ecu, wheel bearings.... all the things that have given out and has been replaced on mine xD

Old 05-14-2008, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: laserdriver90

gotta love our money holes.... tranny, engine, brakes, cv's, tie rods, ignition, ecu, wheel bearings.... all the things that have given out and has been replaced on mine xD
You gotta check the dates before you post.

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with my car