2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

****ty luck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Default ****ty luck?

So I bought an engine for my 1995 eclipse gsx from Raceline last year during february, who bought it from zerolift.
The engine was a JDM Motor imported from a galant vr-4.

So I bought this engine/transmission combo and I needed a 2g Transmission for my car, and raceline had a deal with me to help me find one and help sell my 1g transmission as well as put my engine in and tune it. Well, my car sat up at raceline for 4months and they didn't even lay a finger on it. I also had to find my own transmission and sold the one that came from the engine. Then, I eventually started coming up to raceline myself to put my new clutch in and hook my transmission up to it. The engine was ready to put in and still, weeks went by and raceline still never touched it.

Finally, I gave up and went to zerolift. They put the engine in in a few months and pretty much made me replace everything on the car mechanically. I spent about 10,000 dollars at zerolift on top of the 2500 for the motor and 1000 for the transmission for the 6-bolt swap. I was actually fine with it knowing i had the more "reliable" engine in it and almost all the parts in the vehicle were brand new.

Finally, after months went by and being very patient, Zerolift gave me a call and said the car was done. We trailered the car home and the next day drove it a little bit to test it out. We then pulled the car into our garage to find the speed sensor wasn't even in the transmission so gear oil spewed out, as well as the Dust seal guard on the transmission was just dangling there making an awful loud noise. As well as the knock sensor unplugged, and none of my gauges worked on my dash. But Hey, I gave them some slack because I could easily buy sensors and hook them up. So, the first thing I did was go buy a speed sensor and hook it in to Give me a speed sensor and stop the leak. They also welded the holes where the stock oil cooler went and it was leaking oil, so we had to install an oil cooler ourselves.

All in all, the car ran but it idled like crap. Zerolift said they went in and cleaned the head and said drive it a week or so until a minor ticking from a valve or lifter went away. Well, when i drove this car I babied it everywhere i went. I drove the car LESS than 150 miles without taking the RPM's over 5000. Well, the engine just stopped working driving 65 mph with the RPM's at 2000-3000. Like I said, I babied this thing. I only tried starting it maybe 2-3 times finding out that it would turn over but just wouldn't ignite.

So, I flatbeded the car home and put it in the garage, the next day we started looking at the car and pulled a spark plug out, and it was smashed. We then took the valve cover off to find pieces of metal inside and the pistons looked like they had holes in them.

The next day I called zerolift and explained the situation, and they would not do a thing. I asked what we could do when it comes to using their shop insurance or anything like that and their reply was "why would we do that." After arguing with them for about 10-15 minutes they still denied to repair or replace this engine that ORIGINALLY came from them, and was installed by them. The only thing they said they could do is "Give me a good deal but nothing close to free".

Now is it just me or is that not right? This is an engine that came from zerolift and installed by them, and it blew up with less than 150 miles on it, BABYING it. Honestly I don't know what I'll do now, beings this is my Daily driver that i've been waiting on so patiently (1 year). I even bought 200 dollars worth of speaker wire and 300 dollars for carpet/insulation that i put in the day before the car blew up.

All In all, I have about 13-14 grand in this car, which I gladly spent to have a good, reliable AWD car. And it craps out on me without it being my fault. And now they're saying I'm on my own and they'll just cut the price a little to replace/repair? WTF?

Opinions, Please. [/align][/align][/align](I also posted this on the local street car enthusiast forums, and it's located here):[/align][/align]http://www.cincinnatistreetracing.co...howtopic=80418[/align]

Old 02-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Default RE: ****ty luck?

If i where you i would talk to a lawyer as soon as possible. Usually just the thread of taking legal actions are enough to persuade people. They owe you a new engine at no cost.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:10 PM

Yeah that's what I feel too. But them and everyone on the local forum believes i'm a moron for spending the 10+,000 dollars on a reliable car. and that I should've rebuilt a motor with 50k miles on it before even driving it. But if you read it I'm pretty much kicked in the face by everyone on there.

Most of them are honda boys who use their lego car swaps as a judgement when it comes to the 6-bolt swap and say it's so easy.
but 150 miles and an engine blows up means that the shop i bought it from needs to replace it and get a refund for their money too, all the way back to the start of the chain of who sold it out of whatever vehicle.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:25 PM

10k is alot for a 6bolt swap, but thats not the point here. The point is they owe you ****ing motor. Tell them you want a new motor or youll take legal action. I honestly dont think id want them building me another motor though, it doesnt sound like they know what the **** their doing.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:33 PM

Well the day they said they weren't doing anything but "giving me a good deal" on repair/replacement is the day i called the credit card company and opened a dispute. I'm glad I put it on my card so I can do this at least.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

i would take these guys to court. This is BS. Also make sure everyone in your area knows about this shop and that no one goes to them.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:31 PM

Alot of them are saying it's my fault for buying the engine a year ago and taking a year to install. IDK some people have so thick of skulls you just want to crack it a little to get through..

Old 02-22-2008, 08:12 PM

and Now, The post caused commotion and they deleted my post on the local forums.

*sigh*

Old 02-22-2008, 08:19 PM

you bought the engine from them, and it took them more then a year to install it and somehow its your fault. These guys are completely full of ****. I agree with TE, make sure you post this on as many forums as you can so nobody goes to those guys.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:50 PM

The only thing they have going from them is that I had the car at another shop until months went by and they didn't touch it, then i brought it there. But still, 1 year to get two different shops to put an engine in is rediculous, especially with the end product I wound up with now.

Quick Reply: ****ty luck?