2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

1995 Eclipse RS wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 05:52 PM
Default 1995 Eclipse RS wont start

Hi; I am looking at buying a 1995 RS Eclipse for $1000 bux, the only problem is that it wont start. So here is the story with the car.

The guy that has it now destroyed the first engine so he bought a new engine for it. The mechanics installed it for him and it started just great. He drove the car home and parked it for the night. The next day his grandson took it out for a drive and not more then 2 blocks from the house the whole car just shut off and wouldnt start again.

The guy thought that the engine had leaked all its oil out and siezed the engine up because it wont even turn over, but the funny thing is that it had all its oil in it and had no oil marks anywhere on the road or driveway. He also said that it didnt make any funny noises when it shut off, it just shut off, everything from the engine to all electrical.

So I looked over the car myself. I cannot check the electrical because the battery is dead and has nasty corosion all over the terminals. I checked the coolant and it was full, I checked the oil and it was amber clear, didnt have a gassy or burnt smell and had no grit when I rubbed it between my fingers. The whole engine looks clean and beautiful like it just came off the lot. All the wires are hooked up right from what I can see and there is no damage to the engine from the exterior.

So thats the cars story. Does anyone out there have a clue of what could be wrong with the car, how to fix it or how much it would cost? I hope that someone out there knows something about it.

The car is in damn good condition and just needs some interior work to be really nice. It is a base model RS though, you wont find power this or cruise control that in this car Would you guys say its a good buy for $1000?

Thanks, and sorry for the long post, there is just alot to say.

~April~

Old 07-13-2004, 07:02 PM
Default RE: 1995 Eclipse RS wont start

April,
You'd be suprised.....I've had that problem w/my car before...you'll definitely need to replace the battery terminals & the battery...if they are too corroded, the car won't start. Either way...you could bay it...and part it out....a 420 engine in good condition sells for the average price of $900 on ebay...plus people ALWAYS need parts....Choi.
Peace.
Phil

Old 07-14-2004, 04:58 PM

K, so its a good buy then cause the engine is brand new, not more then 10 miles on the engine. The terminals look like rock crystals, thats how bad they are. Is there anything else that you can think of that might be wrong if its not only the terminals?

Could it be that the mechanic installed the wires on the altenator wrong and just burnt the whole electrical system? Perhaps major relay switches or fuses? If so how much would it cost for a whole new wireing harness and fuse box? Would it be worth saving this car?

Thanks

~April~

Old 07-14-2004, 05:06 PM

April,
For the money..it seems the car is a steal...if you are REALLY serious...have the car taken (towed) to a mechanic and looked at....the battery is a big thing though....
Peace.
Phil

Old 07-14-2004, 05:38 PM

he's right, I'd buy. get a new battery and terms.. see if that helps.. or just take the terms off and soak them in a jar of Coke (yeah, the soda) depending on the corrosion, that will take the most of it off.. is that battery completely dead? also maybe the alt. like you said, the way it died.. it sounds like it can't keep a charge. test is, maybe its bad, or connected wrong. if all else fails, like 97dsmbishi said.. you can part it out for more than $1000, specially with a NEW 420a. good investment either way you look at it.

Old 07-14-2004, 05:54 PM

[sm=smiley20.gif]
Word....
Peace.
Let's see some pics of it! (if poss.)
Phil

Old 07-15-2004, 02:18 AM

Here are the only four pix that I have of the car, her body is almost perfect except those anoying door dings. As for there being no stereo, thats ok cause I can put my own deck in, and it has an amp and two 12's in a bandpass box. They are JL Audio i believe and im not sure of the amp.

She really needs a bath, she has tons of dirt all over her and the rims are a really brilliant chrome under all that dirt. Looks good huh?

~April~

Old 07-15-2004, 05:41 PM

beautiful.. but Im kinda biased towards eclipses.

Old 07-15-2004, 05:51 PM

The Down & Dirty Triz Squad gives you a thumbs up!
Peace.
Phil

[IMG]local://upfiles/1495/D18AFDEDEBDF4CDF890EF71173918508.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-15-2004, 06:23 PM

HAHAH! Great pic Phil. Mach1,for a grand I would scoop that up FAST! Take it to a mechanic and have them check it out. A 95 with a brand new engine and in that good condition, you could turn around and double your money selling it on ebay, even with a bad motor.

Quick Reply: 1995 Eclipse RS wont start