2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

1996 Eclipse GS engine dies

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 01:59 PM
Default 1996 Eclipse GS engine dies

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Auto 2.0

I just got my car back after a year and a half in the body shop. I think those guys fried my PCM. My car will start and will run for about 15 minutes and then turn off. I tested and measured the impedence of the coil and it checks good. Now, when I compare the readings on the harness when it runs and when it doesn't, I find that I do not see me pulses on cylinders 1 and 4. To verify my findings I attach a spark plug to each ignition cable individually and sure enough 1 and 4 do not fire. The engine schematics show that the harness is directly coming from the PCM. The strange thing is that after about 15 minutes with everything off the engine will fire right back up with no problems. Then 15 minutes later it dies.

I need help with the following questions:
1. My manual shows that the PCM is located in the engine bay next to the fuse box for 1996 turbo models. It shows that the ECM is located under the dash behind the center console. Well I have both pictured items so what is what?

2. Does my problem sound typical of a bad computer? Running the check engine diagnostics I get the following codes. 11, 12, 43, 53.

3. Can anyone offer any more help in troubleshooting that I may have missed?

I appreciate everyone's help with this.

Thanks,
Robert

Old 03-25-2005, 05:10 PM
Default RE: 1996 Eclipse GS engine dies

Sorry I don't have an answer, just my recent experiance....I just bought a 1995 eclipse non turbo 5 speed.....3 days ago driving along at 60 miles an hour the engine just starts dying for a second then restarting...then it died and I had to pull off the road, then restarted and drove home fine......next two days no problem then today I get half way to work(about 25 miles), stop at a gas station, then when I start to drive away the engine dies and won't restart..call in sick ...call my wife....about 40 minutes later it starts and runs fine all the way home.....any help????????????

Old 03-25-2005, 06:42 PM

not sure, try the fuel filter, does it sputter and die or just die........

Old 03-26-2005, 02:42 AM

In my case it seems to die instantly, I really think the pcm is cutting off the spark and or fuel supply...when it runs it runs great.....I'm thinking it's the pcm , or the camshaft position sensor....but why does it only do it once in a while

Old 03-27-2005, 10:21 AM

i ahve a simaler problem but mine used to spuder as well i replaced my camshaft pos sensor. it fixed the spudder. but now i have the dieing problem and when it dies the speed and rpm gages look like they have turned off. most of the time i can turn the key to the off pos and then start it back up no problems. but every once in a while i have to reset the computer and then it starts. i have noticed that the fuel injection dose not prime itself or whatever the technical term for it is. but when i reset it it wont start until it dose prime itself.

Old 03-29-2005, 09:08 PM

you say you reset the computer...how do you do that.....I bought a car chip that monitors the computer and when it dies and won't start back up the computer seems to not be working......thanks....

Old 03-31-2005, 01:18 AM

i know what will solve your problem you guys. you should try to replace your Crankshaft sensor not your camshaft. had the same problem thats what fixed it.

Old 04-01-2005, 07:09 PM

Thank you and others for your help....It may well be the crankshaft sensor.....did your car do what mine is doing...it always starts fine...runs for a half hour or so ....then dies........is it common for the crankshaft sensor to act like that ...or does it just go out and the car won't start again.....also as sugested i've started to disconnect battery to reset computer after it dies.....then it always restarts and run well....is it normal for the computer to shut down like that..........thanks alot

Old 04-01-2005, 07:30 PM

when the computer is overloaded with information that it cannot interpret, such as a camshaft pos. sensor sending normal then abnormal information it is basically causing the PCM to shut down. )Sort of like your home PC recieving too many commands and trying to perform too many processes at once, it with lock up.) If you are getting a check engine light, find out what its causing it, where may be 1 or more codes resulting in multiple sensor malfunctions. I used to see this problem quite a bit with my old nissans. but have yet to see it with my mitsu

Old 04-02-2005, 10:27 PM

Thanks all.....today I drove the car and it only ran for about a mile then died...it would not restart.....unhooked battery ....still no restart........pushed ....coasted.....pulled it back home......camshaft pos sensor feed voltage was 2.9.....should be around 9.......signal voltage was also 2.9....should be around 5..........not testing sensor but testing wiring going to sensor.....no spark....almost 9 hours later still testing off then suddenly it tests right where it should be and car starts....I was hoping it wouldn't start so I would have a better chance of finding out what was wrong..........thanks all....for any help

Quick Reply: 1996 Eclipse GS engine dies